Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Short Straw

I get a bit nervous about the idea of taking the kids to the dentist. It feels like I'm about to take a huge exam that I may or may not have prepared enough for. But you don't know until you see the exam or maybe even until you get the results. I do not test well. My stomach churns at the idea.

It seems that Ellie drew the short straw when it came to good teeth genetics. This shouldn't surprise me! She also drew the short straw regarding her finger nails. Carie curses her own finger nails on a daily basis. These two, I swear they are made from the same mold!

At their recent semi-annual dentist appointment it was discovered that she had a couple small cavities that needed to be taken care of.

Now, she's had a couple in the past as well. They were itty bitty cavities that required a small amount of cleaning and a sealant to protect them from future harm. No numbing needed! No big deal the dentist proclaims!

This time she was praised for her teeth brushing efforts. The dentist made it a point to tell her just how great she had been brushing her teeth. Unfortunately we need to step up the flossing efforts as the cavities were between her molars. Certainly the rinse we use should be helping that as well. Maybe not? So technically, one cavity affected two teeth... on both lower sides of her mouth. So all in all, she technically had four cavities this go around. Ouch!

It took two quick (20 minute) visits back to the dentist to get things all fixed up with this morning being the last of the dentist we should need to see for a while! I took her on Tuesday and was shocked at how short the visit was. I was even more shocked at how smooth it all went! Carie took her in this morning and had a good idea how it would go based on Tuesday. When they called her back he said that he had good news and bad news. The good news was that she was all fixed up. The bad news was that she was so cute that they wanted to keep her there. Ugh! Don't do that to us! LOL

The way cool thing about all of this is that Ellie was a champ. She was more than a champ! Both Carie and I dreaded these visits as we knew that he would need to numb her. I would have never dreamed that either of the visits would have gone as great as they did. There is no way that she even knows that she got a shot. It just isn't possible. And I’m not sure that we will even tell her!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Oh don't tell her! You have lucked out and found a great dentist. I also had a few cavities as a kid and I NEVER knew they gave us shots. My dentist just acted like he accidentally pricked us with a tool or something. Seriously, I didn't know until like 17 or something that you got shots!

12:32 PM, August 07, 2008  
Blogger Tanya said...

Oh Oh you should ask her to tell you exactly what they did and then you'll know, if she knows, that she got a shot.
What a great job she did.

3:23 PM, August 07, 2008  
Blogger Sonya said...

LOL... I did ask her some general questions. Of course I got little for answers.

But I'm absolutely positively 100% certain that if she knew she got a shot we'd know about it. There is *no way* that appointment would have been so quick and tear free if she knew a shot was involved.

The dentist pulled on over on her and I'm pleased. As much as we'd love to see her reaction to her finding out that she DID get a shot, we won't be doing that. It is much better in the long run that she is just none the wiser.

Heck - they both have been worrying about the shots they get before going into 6th grade... FOR A YEAR already.

9:19 PM, August 07, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home