Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Caller ID & Tecnology

Having Caller ID at work is a relatively new thing for me. I was one of the "older employees" who had a standard issue phone that didn't get replaced by the newer fancy phones that the newer employees were being issued. That is, until we moved buildings (many months ago)... and I was in charge of the move... and well, it was a requirement to move everyone to the newer fancy phones.

So now I have Caller ID and I kinda like it. A lot!

But recently I've fallen into the trap of thinking I know who is on the other end of the phone when I go to answer it. Like, say, when I see our home or Carie's cell number pop up. It’s not at all unusual for Carie to make the call and hand off the phone. But lately I answer it expecting to hear Carie's voice and instead I hear this cute quiet voice. Abby has taken great joy in initiating phone calls lately. Even though I’m taken by surprise, it has been great fun to get phone calls from her.

She's also taken to answering the phone on her own initiative. I called on my way home the other night and she answers. I also hear what I think is Carie on the other phone. Abby talks to me for a minute (not knowing that Mommy also picked up the phone) and then tells me that it is hard for her to play her game and talk on the phone! The priorities are clear.

Rules around computer usage have also been set. I see this growing and changing rapidly. They've always been good about asking permission to have computer time. It isn’t a rule, per se, but a nice habit that we’ve gotten into. But now, they (specifically Abby) must ask permission to visit websites. She's gotten quite (scary) proficient at this online stuff.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Catherine said...

So cute. Robbie is really into the phone too. He jumps to answer when it rings.

2:21 PM, July 24, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home