Thursday, May 08, 2008

Word Play

Spencer has been experimenting with words lately... including some words that simply aren't acceptable. So he'll test them out, we'll remind him that it isn't an okay word choice, and give him appropriate alternative words. Some alternative words for the specific word he is fixated on (repeating) would be... shucks and darn it. I’m not thrilled with these alternates, but they still beat the original word choice.

Yesterday his big word was Daddy. I've heard him use this word before, but yesterday it was excessive and Daddy was involved in several phases of the evening.

Some examples...

He was helping me with dinner by setting the table. He was counting out the silverware.
As I’m at the stove I'd hear him say
... one for Abby
... one for xxx (I wasn't really paying close attention)
... one for Daddy (That caught my attention)
When there was a break I said "Spencer, who is Daddy?"
He replied, ME!
Me: Oh, okay!
I'm not worried about his use of the word, just curious as to what it currently means to him.

Later he was playing with his fingers and talking. It appeared that he was labeling his fingers... Mommy, Daddy, etc...
Curiously I asked, Spencer who is Daddy?
He pointed to a specific finger and said THIS ONE!
Curiously I asked "Spencer, do you have a daddy?"
He, in a silly animated tone (his usual demeanor) said nooooooooo
Like - are you crazy woman!
This is Daddy (pointing to his finger).
And this is Mommy (pointing to the next finger)

And this is Momma (pointing to the next finger)
I guess we only exist as a finger now.

At least we each have our own finger.

At bedtime we were rocking and talking. He tells me that he wants to be a Daddy. I think… awww, how sweet! I remark that someday I’m sure he’d be a fine Daddy. We cuddle and then a warm fuzzy image of him as a Daddy flashes by... momentarily forgetting that he clearly doesn't know what Daddy is.

Then in the next breath he tells me that he wants to be a closet.
I remark that it might be a challenge to become a closet.
He says “But I want to be”.
Well, I guess we can become whatever we want to be if we work hard enough for it. This one might prove to be a challenge though.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tracey said...

Oh I am with you on the words! I am curious, however, as to which of you is the MIDDLE finger, LOL!!!

12:06 PM, May 08, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home