We Aren't Alone
It appears that there are many people who are surprised at the recent events...
One recent afternoon I was at school in the Kindergarten wing. We were hanging out and playing indoors during recess since it was raining outside. One of the K teachers (not even “our” teacher) asked how it went and if he was asked to return. She has a daughter that is in preschool now (at the preschool Abby & Ellie were at last year). Her kids are also way off the growth charts and she’s talked with us about the disconnect between size, age, and society’s expectations. I simply said that he wasn't selected. Both teachers involved in the conversation were absolutely shocked.
Carie took a small gift and goodies up to the school secretary yesterday for Secretaries Day. She is an awesome lady, a huge asset to the school, and very much respected. She asked Carie. Carie simply said that he wasn't selected and didn't go into any of it. She was absolutely and genuinely shocked. Here I figured that she would already know.
Last night at soccer we were talking with a parent whose youngest son was a peer in the program (at a different school) last year. She asked. I said he wasn't selected. She flipped out and couldn't believe it. I think she thought I was kidding.
After the girls’ soccer game last night I happened to notice the family with the twins. I guess we’ve known that the older boy (Abby’s classmate) plays in that league. On Wednesday’s the boy’s play right after the girls’ games. But what I was shocked to see was that the 2 ½ year olds (must be almost 3 if they are going to be in that program) twin boys were sitting in their strollers (two single strollers). They were just sitting there… in their strollers… just sitting there… outside at the soccer field. That is a great asset to be able to sit and be still. It is necessary to be able to do that at certain times. But outdoors - at a soccer field with plenty of nice safe green space to run and play – and a bazillion soccer balls? I’d be delusional to think that Spencer (or either of the girls’ at his age) would consider sitting in his stroller for that hour… or even long enough for it to be worth the effort of bringing it.
This morning Carie, Spencer & I went out for breakfast. There was a woman (a Grandma) working at a nearby table. She was clearly enjoying watching Spencer and another little girl a couple of tables over. Spencer and the girl were flirting with each other. She mentions that she has a granddaughter and a grandson that is about Spencer's age. Of course we are curious what "about his age" meant since people always think he is older than he is. Turns out, her grandchildren are just a bit older but it was clear that she thought that Spencer was older than he was. She commented on his development and his communication skills being well beyond where her grandchildren are at. This assessment coming from a total stranger with all of 20 minutes of distracted observation. Carie and I just looked at each other and laughed.
Maybe Spencer “isn’t ready” because he’s an active and silly boy. Neither of which are going to magically change in the next year. I wouldn't want him to change! That doesn’t mean that he can’t follow directions or participate in group activities.
One recent afternoon I was at school in the Kindergarten wing. We were hanging out and playing indoors during recess since it was raining outside. One of the K teachers (not even “our” teacher) asked how it went and if he was asked to return. She has a daughter that is in preschool now (at the preschool Abby & Ellie were at last year). Her kids are also way off the growth charts and she’s talked with us about the disconnect between size, age, and society’s expectations. I simply said that he wasn't selected. Both teachers involved in the conversation were absolutely shocked.
Carie took a small gift and goodies up to the school secretary yesterday for Secretaries Day. She is an awesome lady, a huge asset to the school, and very much respected. She asked Carie. Carie simply said that he wasn't selected and didn't go into any of it. She was absolutely and genuinely shocked. Here I figured that she would already know.
Last night at soccer we were talking with a parent whose youngest son was a peer in the program (at a different school) last year. She asked. I said he wasn't selected. She flipped out and couldn't believe it. I think she thought I was kidding.
After the girls’ soccer game last night I happened to notice the family with the twins. I guess we’ve known that the older boy (Abby’s classmate) plays in that league. On Wednesday’s the boy’s play right after the girls’ games. But what I was shocked to see was that the 2 ½ year olds (must be almost 3 if they are going to be in that program) twin boys were sitting in their strollers (two single strollers). They were just sitting there… in their strollers… just sitting there… outside at the soccer field. That is a great asset to be able to sit and be still. It is necessary to be able to do that at certain times. But outdoors - at a soccer field with plenty of nice safe green space to run and play – and a bazillion soccer balls? I’d be delusional to think that Spencer (or either of the girls’ at his age) would consider sitting in his stroller for that hour… or even long enough for it to be worth the effort of bringing it.
This morning Carie, Spencer & I went out for breakfast. There was a woman (a Grandma) working at a nearby table. She was clearly enjoying watching Spencer and another little girl a couple of tables over. Spencer and the girl were flirting with each other. She mentions that she has a granddaughter and a grandson that is about Spencer's age. Of course we are curious what "about his age" meant since people always think he is older than he is. Turns out, her grandchildren are just a bit older but it was clear that she thought that Spencer was older than he was. She commented on his development and his communication skills being well beyond where her grandchildren are at. This assessment coming from a total stranger with all of 20 minutes of distracted observation. Carie and I just looked at each other and laughed.
Maybe Spencer “isn’t ready” because he’s an active and silly boy. Neither of which are going to magically change in the next year. I wouldn't want him to change! That doesn’t mean that he can’t follow directions or participate in group activities.
Labels: The Boy



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home