Family Weekend, Damnit
As we headed into the weekend we didn't have any firm plans. We had a lot of options swirling around in our heads, options of things that must be attended to sooner rather than later. Surely this would be the weekend to tend to those things, right? Ha! Instead it turned into a weekend of family fun! Anything to avoid the inevitable!
Saturday morning both Carie and I got to sleep in. We are pretty sure all the kids slept in as well. When Spencer woke up he went into Abby & Ellie’s room instead of coming to us. Abby & Spencer then went downstairs to do some bonding over their kid shows. At some point Carie & her radar ears heard some noise and just as she went to check it all out she was met by Ellie on the stairs. I, the sleeping dead, didn't hear anything for a little while longer. While we've (mostly me) gotten to sleep in on several occasions before, both of us getting to sleep in is a new experience. The kids are growing up!
I then had the brilliant idea that we ought to attempt a movie at the movie theatre. I was actually pretty sure that Spencer would do okay. I was more worried about the girls', Ellie in particular. So we checked out the trailers and talked about options. After everyone was on board to the whole plan we finally figured out that going later in the day, after Spencer's nap was the option that would work best. Unfortunately the phone rang later in the day and Ellie was invited to a friend’s house to play. She was then less than happy with us about requiring her to go to the movies with the family.
So in the meantime I decided that it would be the perfect time to tear apart our laundry/utility room, er box. Seriously, this room is the size of a small litter box and it contains the furnace, water heater, and the washer & dryer. I'm sure Carie was about ready to be done with me and my grand plans, but she went along with it all nicely. Ideally we needed to move the (stacking) washer & dryer to provide access to the furnace that needs some professional attention. For some reason they need more than a 12" clearance to do their job. If we were moving it, we might as well also do x, y AND z. Right? So we got all the moveable stuff cleared out. The girls' and I then began painting. This was probably their first big opportunity to paint walls of the house - with permission - and they had a blast. Long ago we had bought some fun paint from the cheap bin at the hardware store. The bin that contains mixed paint that people had left behind. So we began painting with this really cool orange color. After all, it was just the laundry/utility room and it needed a bit of splash! We painted as much as we could reach before calling it a day. We then got cleaned up and headed to the theatre to see the H0rt0n movie.
Everyone had a blast at the movie! We enjoyed yummy movie theatre popcorn, some pop, and even some candy while taking in the movie. There were, of course, the inevitable scary parts. I thought they were funny, but for a 5yo who is absolutely terrified of shots it wasn't so funny. Then near the end there was a line "eating rainbows and pooping butterflies". Carie was all like "seriously?" I looked over at the kids and then said that maybe they didn't catch it? Not 3 seconds later Spencer inquisitively said "poop butterflies?" Great! After the movie it was well past the dinner hour so we went to that play place for food and fun as promised.
Sunday morning was our usual routine. After lunch Spencer went up for his nap and the girls and I went to finish up the laundry room. We had moved the beast of the washer & dryer into their new location which then opened up the last section for painting. To help balance out the darker orange color, we decided to paint the other wall a yellow. We had a couple of small cans that we had also gotten from the cheapo bin so I mixed those two cans together (as planned) and it made a really cool yellow and complimented the orange very nicely. The girls had a blast painting again. I think they were on cloud 9. I was pleasantly surprised with how well I handled their painting help all weekend. It was a fun activity for all 3 of us!
Later that afternoon we got a call from some friends inviting us to dinner. They had promised their 3y0 that they'd go to that play place for dinner and wanted to know if we could join them. Sure! Unfortunately we were just there the night before and we try not to visit with regularity, but we'd love to meet up with our friends. The kids had a blast and we really enjoyed talking with our friends... for 2 hours!
We then went and checked out a bike I had spotted on CL. We were very surprised to find this bike in superb condition. It was perfect - exactly what I had been looking for over the past many many months. I did feel a little guilty because the family that was selling it should have asked for way more than they did. But now we have an awesome bike and the timing couldn't have been more perfect. We'll get it cleaned up, get some training wheels on it, and somehow wrap it up for Spencer's 3rd birthday. It is amazing how these things work out! We had found a new bike that we had settled on and figured we’d wait to see if it went on sale. Sure enough, that day it went on sale and now we have an even better bike at a better deal. We don’t even have to assemble it!
After getting the kids into bed we finished getting the laundry room back in working condition. The washer & dryer had been out of commission long enough and the laundry was most likely piling up. Thankfully, in this process, we were able to clean out the dryer vent and get it all hooked back up properly. It was clear that whoever hooked it up before missed the mark, which would totally explain all the lint that would accumulate in the laundry room!
Now our laundry room is freshly painted, bright, clean, organized, and just a nice place to be... if you have to.
Those other things, we’ll, they’ll have to be tended too soon!
Saturday morning both Carie and I got to sleep in. We are pretty sure all the kids slept in as well. When Spencer woke up he went into Abby & Ellie’s room instead of coming to us. Abby & Spencer then went downstairs to do some bonding over their kid shows. At some point Carie & her radar ears heard some noise and just as she went to check it all out she was met by Ellie on the stairs. I, the sleeping dead, didn't hear anything for a little while longer. While we've (mostly me) gotten to sleep in on several occasions before, both of us getting to sleep in is a new experience. The kids are growing up!
I then had the brilliant idea that we ought to attempt a movie at the movie theatre. I was actually pretty sure that Spencer would do okay. I was more worried about the girls', Ellie in particular. So we checked out the trailers and talked about options. After everyone was on board to the whole plan we finally figured out that going later in the day, after Spencer's nap was the option that would work best. Unfortunately the phone rang later in the day and Ellie was invited to a friend’s house to play. She was then less than happy with us about requiring her to go to the movies with the family.
So in the meantime I decided that it would be the perfect time to tear apart our laundry/utility room, er box. Seriously, this room is the size of a small litter box and it contains the furnace, water heater, and the washer & dryer. I'm sure Carie was about ready to be done with me and my grand plans, but she went along with it all nicely. Ideally we needed to move the (stacking) washer & dryer to provide access to the furnace that needs some professional attention. For some reason they need more than a 12" clearance to do their job. If we were moving it, we might as well also do x, y AND z. Right? So we got all the moveable stuff cleared out. The girls' and I then began painting. This was probably their first big opportunity to paint walls of the house - with permission - and they had a blast. Long ago we had bought some fun paint from the cheap bin at the hardware store. The bin that contains mixed paint that people had left behind. So we began painting with this really cool orange color. After all, it was just the laundry/utility room and it needed a bit of splash! We painted as much as we could reach before calling it a day. We then got cleaned up and headed to the theatre to see the H0rt0n movie.
Everyone had a blast at the movie! We enjoyed yummy movie theatre popcorn, some pop, and even some candy while taking in the movie. There were, of course, the inevitable scary parts. I thought they were funny, but for a 5yo who is absolutely terrified of shots it wasn't so funny. Then near the end there was a line "eating rainbows and pooping butterflies". Carie was all like "seriously?" I looked over at the kids and then said that maybe they didn't catch it? Not 3 seconds later Spencer inquisitively said "poop butterflies?" Great! After the movie it was well past the dinner hour so we went to that play place for food and fun as promised.
Sunday morning was our usual routine. After lunch Spencer went up for his nap and the girls and I went to finish up the laundry room. We had moved the beast of the washer & dryer into their new location which then opened up the last section for painting. To help balance out the darker orange color, we decided to paint the other wall a yellow. We had a couple of small cans that we had also gotten from the cheapo bin so I mixed those two cans together (as planned) and it made a really cool yellow and complimented the orange very nicely. The girls had a blast painting again. I think they were on cloud 9. I was pleasantly surprised with how well I handled their painting help all weekend. It was a fun activity for all 3 of us!
Later that afternoon we got a call from some friends inviting us to dinner. They had promised their 3y0 that they'd go to that play place for dinner and wanted to know if we could join them. Sure! Unfortunately we were just there the night before and we try not to visit with regularity, but we'd love to meet up with our friends. The kids had a blast and we really enjoyed talking with our friends... for 2 hours!
We then went and checked out a bike I had spotted on CL. We were very surprised to find this bike in superb condition. It was perfect - exactly what I had been looking for over the past many many months. I did feel a little guilty because the family that was selling it should have asked for way more than they did. But now we have an awesome bike and the timing couldn't have been more perfect. We'll get it cleaned up, get some training wheels on it, and somehow wrap it up for Spencer's 3rd birthday. It is amazing how these things work out! We had found a new bike that we had settled on and figured we’d wait to see if it went on sale. Sure enough, that day it went on sale and now we have an even better bike at a better deal. We don’t even have to assemble it!
After getting the kids into bed we finished getting the laundry room back in working condition. The washer & dryer had been out of commission long enough and the laundry was most likely piling up. Thankfully, in this process, we were able to clean out the dryer vent and get it all hooked back up properly. It was clear that whoever hooked it up before missed the mark, which would totally explain all the lint that would accumulate in the laundry room!
Now our laundry room is freshly painted, bright, clean, organized, and just a nice place to be... if you have to.
Those other things, we’ll, they’ll have to be tended too soon!
Labels: Family, House Projects



1 Comments:
sounds like a fabulously coloured laundry room and well done on getting to sleep in...we are atill dreaming of that day
Post a Comment
<< Home