Thursday, May 01, 2008

More Than We Bargained For

We are Webk!nz newbies. The girls' had become privy to them through their older friends on the bus. They have been talking about them for months. It seemed inevitable that we would have this experience and the Easter bunny surprised them with plush virtual animals in their Easter basket.

It has been quite the experience. I think it is fair to say that we've gotten more than we bargained for out of this experience. In a good way.

During the newness phase of it all Carie and I got addicted to a couple of the games. Our short lived addictions helped the girls' in their efforts to create their rooms. Then life got busy again and our competition died down. I don't know the last time either Carie or I have logged on for our own enjoyment. The girls though, they still love playing with their virtual pets.

The girls' personalities have once again shone through. Ellie is all about collecting her points and saving them for certain things. She is also interested in waiting for things to go on sale or waiting until she has a coupon to buy her big items. Abby is all about immediate gratification. That's my girl! This has been a great lesson in saving and waiting.

Over the Webk!nz Extravaganza weekend we managed to get some new (free!) pets. All we had to do was spend a small amount of $$ at specific stores to get a free Webk!nz. Well, we have 3 birthday parties coming up and needed to buy birthday decorations and such. It was money we were going to spend very soon anyways. So it was a no brainer. All 3 kids ended up with new Webk!nz. Spencer loves his Webk!nz friends as much as the girls' do even though he doesn't utilize the virtual aspect. The girls' logged into their accounts and added their new friend to join their old friend. They had great fun playing with both of them.

Saturday night it was time to head to bed. Abby really wanted to put her Webk!nz pets to bed and we agreed that that would be okay. Carie and I were chilling out, taking in the 30 seconds of quietness, when suddenly Abby appeared and she was clearly frustrated.

She says (in an exasperated tone) "I'm trying to put my Webk!nz to bed but every time I go to put the 2nd one in bed, the first one gets out of bed!"

This is where I earn the "Mom of the year" award! I say: "Welcome to our world!" "You and Ellie have been doing this for nearly 6 years now!"

Carie burst into laughter. You know when you are downright tired and just can't control yourself anymore, yeah.

Abby looks perplexed.

Abby honey, I know it is frustrating! How about I help? But can you and your sister stay in bed!?!? Because really, it is frustrating.


You know what? It might be my imagination, but I think they have stayed in bed more this week.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

LOL, that's cute. And I am hooked on Webk!nz now because Kim bought me one for my birthday. I love some of the games and Erik and I pick out food for our pet (he always points at the bananas!) I agree, for a kid it's probably a great way to learn about making money, saving, etc. Even I find it frustrating that I can't afford to buy my poor monkey a trampoline yet!!

7:17 AM, May 05, 2008  
Blogger Tracey said...

Bahahahaha...oh I can imagine Carie laughing quite hard at your observation to Abby. That is so funny!

8:56 AM, May 06, 2008  
Blogger Tanya said...

Too cute. Glad I'm not hte only one who's wee ones don't want to sleep.

11:01 AM, May 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home