Fat
I really despise that word, really really do.
I don't think it is because I am... that. But I think that the word carries with it so many connotations and each individual’s perception of what is, is different.
I also take issue with other people taking concern over other individual’s level of fatness. Why it is necessary to concern themselves with the condition of other people is beyond me. They don't have to live "with it". I take issue especially when inappropriate comments are muttered. I will never forget the comment that was made the day that our girls were born. It would have been easier to brush off if it were a nurse or someone from the hospital. But no, it was from a family member and nearly 6 years later I can still visualize it. Amazingly, none of these same people seemed to notice when I did lose a lot of weight after Spencer was born. Unfortunately I didn't even realize or appreciate how much weight I had lost. I myself didn't even truly believe the people who did notice. I wish I could go back and have a do over.
Moving on as this really isn’t about ME.
Our dear sweet Ellie is suddenly using this word and we are very concerned. How in the world? She is only (almost) 6!
As near as we can tell thus far, it sounds like this word is being used amongst some classmates at school. We suspect that Ellie may be using these words as well, which makes me sad. This isn't language we use at home and it isn't language that we've heard her use before. As part of all this, she's recently made some really inappropriate, and way out of character, remarks that are very concerning.
I don't know how the other kid(s) are feeling, but Ellie is now worried that she is fat and is convinced that she needs to exercise. In reality, that is so not the case and it is concerning to think that she thinks she is fat. I’ve also very recently noticed her interest in a different angle of food nutrition… and whether or not what she is eating has fat in it.
We've had some good (I think, I hope!) conversations about our bodies, how we are all different, and what we need to continue to do to keep our own bodies healthy and strong. We had a great conversation about all of the things we DO do to achieve this and how they are perfect just the way they are. We’ve always openly talked about the food that we are eating and how it benefits (or doesn’t) our bodies. It isn’t at all unusual for them to ask questions about the food. But the fat question is a new twist and one that now seems to go hand in hand with these latest developments.
We will be having a chat with the teacher to see if she can shed any light on what is going on. If she isn't aware, we want to make her aware so they can help put an end to this.
We - our society - need to leave the judgments at the door! They aren't helpful in the least, they are only hurtful. Until you walk in the shoes of the person you are judging, you have no idea!
I don't think it is because I am... that. But I think that the word carries with it so many connotations and each individual’s perception of what is, is different.
I also take issue with other people taking concern over other individual’s level of fatness. Why it is necessary to concern themselves with the condition of other people is beyond me. They don't have to live "with it". I take issue especially when inappropriate comments are muttered. I will never forget the comment that was made the day that our girls were born. It would have been easier to brush off if it were a nurse or someone from the hospital. But no, it was from a family member and nearly 6 years later I can still visualize it. Amazingly, none of these same people seemed to notice when I did lose a lot of weight after Spencer was born. Unfortunately I didn't even realize or appreciate how much weight I had lost. I myself didn't even truly believe the people who did notice. I wish I could go back and have a do over.
Moving on as this really isn’t about ME.
Our dear sweet Ellie is suddenly using this word and we are very concerned. How in the world? She is only (almost) 6!
As near as we can tell thus far, it sounds like this word is being used amongst some classmates at school. We suspect that Ellie may be using these words as well, which makes me sad. This isn't language we use at home and it isn't language that we've heard her use before. As part of all this, she's recently made some really inappropriate, and way out of character, remarks that are very concerning.
I don't know how the other kid(s) are feeling, but Ellie is now worried that she is fat and is convinced that she needs to exercise. In reality, that is so not the case and it is concerning to think that she thinks she is fat. I’ve also very recently noticed her interest in a different angle of food nutrition… and whether or not what she is eating has fat in it.
We've had some good (I think, I hope!) conversations about our bodies, how we are all different, and what we need to continue to do to keep our own bodies healthy and strong. We had a great conversation about all of the things we DO do to achieve this and how they are perfect just the way they are. We’ve always openly talked about the food that we are eating and how it benefits (or doesn’t) our bodies. It isn’t at all unusual for them to ask questions about the food. But the fat question is a new twist and one that now seems to go hand in hand with these latest developments.
We will be having a chat with the teacher to see if she can shed any light on what is going on. If she isn't aware, we want to make her aware so they can help put an end to this.
We - our society - need to leave the judgments at the door! They aren't helpful in the least, they are only hurtful. Until you walk in the shoes of the person you are judging, you have no idea!
Labels: Eliana; Health



2 Comments:
Oh wow, it's scary that this kind of thing starts so young, isn't it? You guys are awesome for dealing with it actively right off the bat.
One of my best friend's daughters was called "Fat" at age 7. She was totally crushed. Her mother got made fun of when she was a kid (not that it matters but neither of them are fat) and it took her a LOT to get through her middle school years until she sprouted up.
Kids are very tough and I also hope to do what we can to make sure our child is sensitive to other people's differences. I think you guys are handling it very well.
Post a Comment
<< Home