Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Recycling

We are finally a recycling family.

We should have done it long long ago, but didn't. I'm sure we had all sorts of excuses, none of them really good enough. But now we are and I guess that is what really matters. It feels good, really really good!

We recently signed up with a new sanitation service. The recycling program through our previous provider pales in comparison to our new service.

We had these incredibly small blue tubs to fill week to week. Sadly, I don't even know what we could place in the tubs. We would typically see various plastic containers recycled (in our neighbors tubs). On windy days it was great that they'd get blown all over the neighborhood. The visual is an example of a neighbors recycling contribution over a weeks time.

Our new sanitation service has a great partnership with Recycle Bank. We are barely within the limits of their service area, and I'm so glad we are!

I had NO IDEA how much of our consumables we could recycle. We easily filled our 96 gallon container in two weeks... without even trying.

As a total bonus, we get credit for our recycling and earn rewards. The service itself was a winner for us. The rewards are a total bonus!

The really cool thing is, the kids are fully on board and so excited about it.

Just after we got it all arranged we brought it up for discussion at dinner one night. We talked about what recycling is, how it works, and what we can and cannot recycle. Immediately they looked at all the things on the table and identified all the items that could be recycled. We now have two cans in the kitchen, one for trash and one for recycling. They are always eager to identify which can their item goes in.

I'm certain there is more that we should be doing, but for now this is a great start for us. I'm glad it is making such a great impact on the kids. I'm glad that as a family we are so excited about it.

The impact our small two week effort has made...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

The recycling rewards program is so cool! Our recycling service here is lacking. We really try to do the blue bag thing as directed but they never pick it up when they're supposed to. How great that your family is doing the right thing - and altering your carbon footprint! ;-)

8:23 PM, May 28, 2008  
Blogger Tracey said...

I wish our recycling program would give us that kind of feedback! We are big on recycling, and before anyone throws anything out, we always look at the bottom for the number. E is especially vigilant, which I love! Yay for you all recycling!

9:42 AM, May 29, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

we have a similar program...but we don't get the feedback! that is really awesome!

7:59 AM, May 30, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home