Tuesday, March 04, 2008

On The Descent?

Yesterday felt like we were peering over the peak with signs of heading down the curve on this no paci effort. But of course, we felt more optimistic than this in the first few days of this effort. If he had pitched a big fit, or even any fit, in the beginning I'm certain we wouldn't be where we are today. Thankfully, I guess, he didn't and we are now what feels like a great deal down the path of removing the paci from our home.

There are key times or triggers where we can anticipate him requesting his paci. We try to navigate around as many of those as possible. Unfortunately the nap time and bed time have to be faced head on. The "I'm proud of you" approach along with extra stories, cuddles, and new backrubs seems to help.

He is now waking nightly, a new thing since the disappearing paci. It isn't unusual for him to wake anytime between 2am and 6:30am, but generally speaking it seems to be closer to the 6:00 hour. This is not a normal morning hour for him as generally he'd sleep until 7:30ish. He doesn’t actually wake up, but he is upset and needing help to settle back down. This is the only time he has been getting a paci, which I'm sure is why he keeps waking. But he is so upset and so out of it, it currently is the best approach for us to get through. Carie offers the paci to settle him down and rubs his back. He falls back to sleep and the paci disappears again. Most often we are later greeted with a really happy boy with never a concern over where his middle of the night fix went. I’d say 99.31% (I like stats!) paci removal is a success at this point!

I was recently reminded just how important the girls' blankies are to them. Abby came to me the other morning because she couldn't find her blankie and she couldn't go back to sleep without it. The timing of it all was interesting to me. She had woken about the same time that Spencer has been waking. Coincidence? I'm not so sure. Spencer loves his blankies, but nothing is quite like his paci.

Carie tried offering a "broken" paci the other night. We hadn't taken that approach at the onset of this because 1) this disappearing approach just happened to happen and 2) we thought a "broken" paci would tick him off. The verdict, he was royally ticked off. We might have been able to reason with him a bit if he had been awake, but I’m not so sure there is much reasoning to be had with this boy and his paci’s. His passion would rule.

We are now hearing baby talk and seeing a recession in some areas. I'm sure it is normal and I know he'll come around. It certainly hasn’t stopped him from advancing in other areas, like burping on purpose. Unfortunately the other kids think it is hilarious and thus we have motivation.


I just hope that yesterday's steps forward are indicative of the days ahead. At any rate, yesterday was nice. If only I were feeling celebratory!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger girlranting said...

Hey, you brought back memories of my childhood with your story!

So much so, that I decided to blog about it on my site. If you want to check it out, you might get a couple of pointers thought up by a then-10 year old.

7:27 PM, March 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems like some progress is being made. We thought we were being smart by only giving the boy his "binky" for naps and nighttime, but I think we also are going to have some trouble. He is now back to waking up during the night when he can't find one in his crib. ugh.

9:50 AM, March 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home