Friday, October 07, 2005

Nearing A Breakdown!

How does anyone get anything done? That is my question of the day, week, and month. I've been asking myself this a lot lately... and I'm coming up empty on answers.

I think of these possible answers... does it really need to be done, am I creating work that doesn't need to be created, am I lazy, am I unorganized or inefficient, am I procrastinating, am I overwhelmed, is it unrealistic, is this my new life, yadda yadda yadda.

It seems absolutely impossible to put energy towards more than one thing at a time. I used to be able to multitask with the best of them, but no more could I even think that to be true. As it is now, one task overtakes us and everything else goes to hell. We finally got the garage cleaned out so that both vehicles can fit for the winter. While "focusing" on that (and also not neglecting our children), the rest of the house went to the crapper... at nearly a week later we are still trying to catch up there. There are still many other outdoor tasks on the list "before winter hits"... i.e. snow, which can be at anytime in this great state. Then there are the indoor tasks that have been started, but not finished... because we needed to get to the outdoor tasks. Then there are all the other indoor tasks that I am growing impatient with. All the while we can't seem to keep up with the "daily stuff". I feel like I'm about to go to the loony bin!

I feel like we are constantly prioritizing... because there is just too much AND because we want to make sure the kids and family comes first. We don't want to lose sight of that importance.

The kicker is that I seem to barely put my time in at work, well... I don't actually. I'd be lying if I said that I've put a 40-hour week in recently. And Carie's a SAHM, not that that is an easy task to take on. But you would think that, given our "schedules", we could manage to keep up on things... "just keep up". It just isn't happening and I know that we, the both of us, are feeling overwhelmed. The kids could care less. Heck their #1 priority is destruction :).

The weekdays are essentially gone. We get the girls' off to school and me off to work. I'm sure Carie breaths a deep sigh of relief when she's finally got us all out the door. The girls' come home at lunchtime and have the afternoon to play. I come home at dinnertime, where we are all able to eat together. Immediately following dinner it's time to get the girls' headed towards bed with Spencer following right behind. If we're lucky, it's now 8:30 and we succumb ourselves to the family room so the kids can fall asleep without our distractions. We veg a bit ourselves then head upstairs to clean up from the evening and get ready for the next day.

The weekends, what's a weekend? Actually, I take that back. We have had a few weekends most recently where we have been able to create our own schedule. I was reminded (by my mother) just the other day that we haven't had family commitments for the past couple of weekends... she's going into withdrawal and must see her grandchildren soon. More often than not though we are on the go go go fulfilling someone else's needs/obligations. When we finally do get an "open" weekend we quickly fill it up ourselves with all the "to do's"... shopping for cold weather clothes, a stop to buy dog food, grocery shopping, errands, errands, errands... that we promised we weren't going to allow to consume our Saturday, but did.

I'm certain that part of this relates to having a newborn in the house along with a couple of wonderful helpers. Then some of it is attributed to the shorter days and "feeling" like we've got less time during the day. We'll figure out a new routine, we must!

Until then... tonight we've got to make Chili to take for dinner tomorrow night. Tomorrow Abby's got her FIRST birthday party for a pre-school friend. Then we are off to Lincoln to visit the folks (mine) then off to Carie's folks to help with their move. Don't know all that is going on with the move, except we are providing Chili for dinner. They hired movers, yeah! We'll get back to Omaha after bedtime no doubt. Sunday is currently reserved for a few tasks. Hopefully we'll make it to Church as well. We'll also have my cousin (who's the girls' age) with us for part of the weekend… still working out those details. My Grandma, who is watching them while my Aunt is in Germany looking after my Uncle, needs a break... she's got to. I know what it's like and I live with it daily. So we’ll take the youngest child while she runs the older girls’ to their events.

Ahhh... I feel better after a good long vent! Thanks!

1 Comments:

Blogger Estelle said...

Geez babe we only have ONE kid who doesn't do or require much, in a house half the size of yours with no snow (holy cow imagine what would happen!) and we still don't get it done. That's life.
You'll have plenty of time to clean the house and shovel the drive once Spencer is in college.

12:41 PM, October 11, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home