Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The Wedding

While neither a family wedding, nor the wedding of a really really close friend, this particular wedding was life changing for my family. It was the wedding of a co-worker and friend that occurred a couple of weekends ago. While generally we don't mix business with our personal lives, this time was an exception and it was important that we attend.

The bride to be knew about me and my family, that it wasn't a traditional family. She knows everyone; she (and a few other co-workers) had been to our baby shower when Carie was pg, they have been to our home, and they helped paint the sky ceiling in the nursery a good 3 1/2 years ago. So, I had outed myself to a few folks long long ago but I didn't announce it to the world. We didn't think it was necessary and we aren't the types to make a big deal about it. We are who we are and we are okay with it, others will think what they want and we are okay with that too. A few other folks have been clued in along the way.

So while this isn't the first opportunity Carie and I have had to attend a work event together, this is the first time we've wanted to attend as a family. The bride was very excited that we had rsvp'd. A few other co-workers were excited at the chance to "finally" meet Carie. Amazingly so, we weren't nervous about it one bit. It was odd. I think we both thought we should be nervous about outing ourselves and at a wedding to boot, but no.

We all went to the service, which was lovely. The kids did great in Church, as usual. The girls' are always really good in Church and Spencer is still just a baby. A little standing and rocking took care of his needs... I can't believe I forgot his pacifier in the van. Just before the service started another co-worker/friend and her family sat in front of us. Their daughter is about 9 months older than the girls' and their son is exactly 1 year older than Spencer. The girls' were a little distracted by the presence of their new friend, but they all hit it off wonderfully. After the ceremony we made our way to the reception, with a couple of stops in between.

Arriving at the reception hall Abby & Ellie sought out their new friend Isabel. Luckily there was still space available at their table and the girls' were then joined at the hip the rest of the evening. A couple of other co-workers joined our table and we had a lovely evening. The girls' were on their absolute best behavior and might I add it was a full service sit-down meal. The co-workers we were sitting with couldn't stop complimenting on their behavior and I'm happy to say they did it all on their own. It wasn't one of those evenings where all our attention had to be focused on parenting.

I took Carie around to introduce her to everyone and in the process they all goggled over Spencer. Once the dancing got started we danced with the girls' for a few songs then it was time to go. Unfortunately Abby did not want to go. She declared, all the way out the door and all the way home, that the party wasn't over. She was right the party was just beginning. However, it was way past bedtime and time to go home.

So... I am now officially out at work. I'm certain that more people "knew" than I knew knew. Thankfully nothing has come of it, it seems like no big deal. I was hoping for that, but didn't know for certain. A few folks, one's that I am closer to, have asked if anything has been said or come of it because they hadn't heard anything. Also really cool. I continue to be who I am. Nothing seems to have changed now that I am "out".

What I really learned was that we ARE really comfortable being who we are. We thought we were, but it became clearer to us after not being nervous about outing ourselves at the wedding.

2 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

I'm glad it went so well!!!!! :)

2:46 PM, October 05, 2005  
Blogger Estelle said...

Yay! I'm glad it went well and that girls loved it so much!

8:31 AM, October 06, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home