Wonder Woman
Okay, so come to find out Abby wasn't goofing off and trying out for the role of Wonder Woman, as I had originally thought/assumed. But in the end she is still Wonder Woman... or maybe that would be Wonder Girl.
Here's the scoop...
Last Friday at 4:08pm my phone rings at work. It's weird, but I remember looking at the clock. It's Carie calling to tell me .... honestly I don't remember exactly what she said. I was fixated on the words "Abby split her lip open". I heard nothing going on in the background, no noisy kids, no screaming kids, no crying kids, all was quiet. How can it be so quiet? Is she okay? Are you okay? I think were the series of questions.
Well, Abby was on the desk chair (which happens to be an extra dining chair), located in our family room. She was looking at the pictures shown through our screen saver. She likes to look at the pictures of when they were little and also of many of our family members and friends. When she was done, she went to hop down. Here is where I thought she was trying to try out for the role of Wonder Woman by jumping from the chair to the couch. But I guess that wasn't the case. She simply was hopping off the chair and wasn't goofing off at all. Unfortunately the chair was really close to the couch and she ended up hitting the back of the couch... her lip met the frame of the back of the couch... and her lip lost the battle. Eowwww!
Carie assured me that everyone was okay. They had gotten the bleeding to stop fairly quickly. So we discussed "what to do". So a quick call to our beloved Pediatrician's office and it was determined that all would be okay and no trip to the ER or stitches were needed. After that conversation Carie and I talked some more when Carie discovered that not only were there teeth marks cutting into the inside of her lip (which we knew about) but now she noticed a mark on the outside of her lip/chin... really in between the two. Hmmm... so was that mark caused from the teeth on the inside or the couch on the outside? After talking with the Peds office again, with this new information, they thought best to have us come in and check it out.
The rest of the conversation went like this...
Carie: umm... do you still have appointments today.
Peds Office: Yes we do, at 4:30. Can you make it?
Carie: well... none of the children are dressed, my infant has a blow out, and we live about 15 minutes away.... SURE, we can make it.
Peds Office: See you soon!
Carie gets everyone dressed to go out in public. Not a small feat with two 3 year old. Spencer gets to go as is; he'll get changed at the office. On her way she calls and updates me. I leave work and meet them there where I'm promptly handed the dirty boy for changing. As usual, we go right back to a room and the Dr. comes in to check things out. Abby is totally cool with letting the Dr. look around in her mouth. She didn't have any qualms about it, didn't flinch, didn't cry, and didn’t pull away, nothing. She only wanted to know if she could get a sticker when she was done.
In the end, no stitches were needed. While the cuts on the inside looked pretty bad, they'd heal fine. The mark on the outside appeared to be caused from the couch and not her teeth coming nearly through. We were lucky.
So... Carie is my Wonder Woman for keeping everyone calm through times like these and getting where they needed to be all on her own. Abby is our Wonder Girl for being so brave. Man oh man this kid is tough, she takes it as it comes and jumps right back into action. She rarely skips a beat on the toughest of falls.
But why oh why do these types of accidents happen when the kids are NOT goofing off? In Ellie's cart incident (last March), she was being such a great shopper and helper. She was using excellent listening skills and was being really safe. Yet we ended up in the ER with a slight fracture on her skull. Abby wasn't being wild and crazy while getting off the chair. Yet we end up worried we'd need stitches.



1 Comments:
Ouch! I hope that Abby is feeling better. Carrie is my hero!
Post a Comment
<< Home