The Boob Factor
For the past 3 weeks, Spencer has been an eating machine... at least every 3 hours day and night. He acts like he's starved and can't wait to "dig in".
Rewind to 3 weeks ago, the first week of this noticeable change. It appeared to us that he was going through yet another growth spurt. Seemed rather normal and we were more than happy to oblige and feed the boy whenever he was hungry. Surely, like all other growth spurts... it's just a phase.
The next week just as he may have been ready to settle back into routine, I become ill. I'm not one to seek out medical help, but this time I went to the Dr. faster than ever. I was so ill that I couldn't even hold my son. Carie had to bring him to me and come get him when he was done nursing. I even went IN to the Dr's office so that I could talk with him about the fact that I have a 4m old that I am nursing to ensure that any meds I would be put on wouldn't damage my supply and our nursing relationship. Sure enough, the meds affect my supply. I no longer have MOO status! I notice, Spencer notices... and so we continue feeding at least every 3 hours day and night. He seemed satisfied when he ate, but he clearly wasn't getting as much as he was prior. He was also nursing longer, more like the initial days where he'd nurse an hour at a time. Well, you can do the math... basically the boy was attached to me 1/3 of the day. Luckily the boy's 4m well check was at the end of this second week so we talked with his Pediatrician about what was going on. One of the decisions was to write me a script for Reglan, just in case I felt that I needed it. I was just starting to feel that my supply was returning, so I wanted the script but wanted to hold off on filling it.
The third week... we continue working on getting my supply to return. It's definitely getting better, but the boy is still eating at least every three hours day and night. I decided that I felt better about my supply, but I thought I'd give the Reglan a try for a few days to see if it would help push me over the edge. I've now taken it three nights and it seems to have helped wonders. I think I've achieved MOO status again (given to me by a friend). BUT... the boy is still eating everything in sight, definitely not missing a drop, and definitely still eating every 3 hours. Though, his nursing sessions have returned to their normal length, which has been a blessing. His consumption has definitely increased.
So as we try to figure out what is going on, here's how our rationale has evolved over the past few weeks... Growth spurt... to supply issues... to increased consumption (and production, yay)... to the boob factor.
The boy LOVES to nurse. He'll take a bottle if he needs to, trust me he won't starve. Remember, he's the size of a healthy 8 month old. BUT, he loves to nurse. He's even started making this noise/gesture when I get ready that clearly tells us he is excited about it. It is so funny.
A couple of nights ago his Mommy got up with him to feed him and give me a break. Thank YOU! But, he wasn't as interested as usual. She had to work at keeping him focused on finishing the bottle. He definitely didn't attack it like he attacks the boob. He also went longer between that bottle-feed and the next time he woke up.
Which brings us to The Boob Factor. Our theory is that the boy is waking just so he can nurse and it isn't because he is "starving".
Rewind to 3 weeks ago, the first week of this noticeable change. It appeared to us that he was going through yet another growth spurt. Seemed rather normal and we were more than happy to oblige and feed the boy whenever he was hungry. Surely, like all other growth spurts... it's just a phase.
The next week just as he may have been ready to settle back into routine, I become ill. I'm not one to seek out medical help, but this time I went to the Dr. faster than ever. I was so ill that I couldn't even hold my son. Carie had to bring him to me and come get him when he was done nursing. I even went IN to the Dr's office so that I could talk with him about the fact that I have a 4m old that I am nursing to ensure that any meds I would be put on wouldn't damage my supply and our nursing relationship. Sure enough, the meds affect my supply. I no longer have MOO status! I notice, Spencer notices... and so we continue feeding at least every 3 hours day and night. He seemed satisfied when he ate, but he clearly wasn't getting as much as he was prior. He was also nursing longer, more like the initial days where he'd nurse an hour at a time. Well, you can do the math... basically the boy was attached to me 1/3 of the day. Luckily the boy's 4m well check was at the end of this second week so we talked with his Pediatrician about what was going on. One of the decisions was to write me a script for Reglan, just in case I felt that I needed it. I was just starting to feel that my supply was returning, so I wanted the script but wanted to hold off on filling it.
The third week... we continue working on getting my supply to return. It's definitely getting better, but the boy is still eating at least every three hours day and night. I decided that I felt better about my supply, but I thought I'd give the Reglan a try for a few days to see if it would help push me over the edge. I've now taken it three nights and it seems to have helped wonders. I think I've achieved MOO status again (given to me by a friend). BUT... the boy is still eating everything in sight, definitely not missing a drop, and definitely still eating every 3 hours. Though, his nursing sessions have returned to their normal length, which has been a blessing. His consumption has definitely increased.
So as we try to figure out what is going on, here's how our rationale has evolved over the past few weeks... Growth spurt... to supply issues... to increased consumption (and production, yay)... to the boob factor.
The boy LOVES to nurse. He'll take a bottle if he needs to, trust me he won't starve. Remember, he's the size of a healthy 8 month old. BUT, he loves to nurse. He's even started making this noise/gesture when I get ready that clearly tells us he is excited about it. It is so funny.
A couple of nights ago his Mommy got up with him to feed him and give me a break. Thank YOU! But, he wasn't as interested as usual. She had to work at keeping him focused on finishing the bottle. He definitely didn't attack it like he attacks the boob. He also went longer between that bottle-feed and the next time he woke up.
Which brings us to The Boob Factor. Our theory is that the boy is waking just so he can nurse and it isn't because he is "starving".



1 Comments:
Did you do the Reglan? I still have some domperidone left over that I could send you! After both Robyn and I researching it we decided it was so much better then Reglan. Reglan crosses the blood brain barrier and domperidome doesn't. Let me know.
Post a Comment
<< Home