The Ultimate Potty Success
This morning while in the shower it really sank in. I hadn't thought about it in a while, we've just been going through the motions. But, both of the girls are really potty trained.
They take care of most of it themselves, though we check to make sure they are properly cleaning themselves. They still announce to us... "I have to go potty" or "the potty is coming" or "I have to go poopy" and we still respond by saying "okay, well get in there and go then". Then they run off and do their business. The biggest thing seems to be choosing WHICH bathroom to use. It is so funny to watch how each one of them manages getting on to the potty by themselves. At first the pottying would receive big praises, high fives, hugs, stickers, and anything else to encourage it. That has toned down a lot and it's become no big deal. Once and a while I'll tell them how proud I am of them for going to the bathroom like grown up girls and not having accidents.
They've also come along way with pooping on the potty and I think they've nearly got that down as well. It's funny to hear them announce from the bathroom, loud enough to hear from any location in the house, "I'M POOPING!" They'll have an occasional accident, but it is far better than it was in the beginning and far far better than it was about 18 months ago when poop became an art project on the yellow wall. This effort still receives huge kudos and praise as reinforcement and reminder that this is good and is what needs to happen. Sometimes they still ask for their reward for going poopy on the potty, and we oblige. The reward bin still has some bouncy balls and cheap kid bracelets in it. Soon I'd suspect that it would be no big deal and just a part of another day.
Nighttime, we still put on diapers. That will come in it's own time. Besides, we've got a huge box of the girls' diapers that we need to go through. But wait, we could probably save them for Spencer and he'd be able to wear them in no time. So now we are pretty much down to buying diapers for Spencer. Ahh... buying for one, a new experience for us.
Amazing what parenting will do to ya. We've never talked about potty and poop this much before kids!
They take care of most of it themselves, though we check to make sure they are properly cleaning themselves. They still announce to us... "I have to go potty" or "the potty is coming" or "I have to go poopy" and we still respond by saying "okay, well get in there and go then". Then they run off and do their business. The biggest thing seems to be choosing WHICH bathroom to use. It is so funny to watch how each one of them manages getting on to the potty by themselves. At first the pottying would receive big praises, high fives, hugs, stickers, and anything else to encourage it. That has toned down a lot and it's become no big deal. Once and a while I'll tell them how proud I am of them for going to the bathroom like grown up girls and not having accidents.
They've also come along way with pooping on the potty and I think they've nearly got that down as well. It's funny to hear them announce from the bathroom, loud enough to hear from any location in the house, "I'M POOPING!" They'll have an occasional accident, but it is far better than it was in the beginning and far far better than it was about 18 months ago when poop became an art project on the yellow wall. This effort still receives huge kudos and praise as reinforcement and reminder that this is good and is what needs to happen. Sometimes they still ask for their reward for going poopy on the potty, and we oblige. The reward bin still has some bouncy balls and cheap kid bracelets in it. Soon I'd suspect that it would be no big deal and just a part of another day.
Nighttime, we still put on diapers. That will come in it's own time. Besides, we've got a huge box of the girls' diapers that we need to go through. But wait, we could probably save them for Spencer and he'd be able to wear them in no time. So now we are pretty much down to buying diapers for Spencer. Ahh... buying for one, a new experience for us.
Amazing what parenting will do to ya. We've never talked about potty and poop this much before kids!



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home