Thursday, September 15, 2005

Picking Up The Girls' From School

I just LOVE to greet the girls' after school. I don't really need to be there as Carie is there to transport them, but I love to go anyways. Who cares that gas prices are crazy. They have the biggest smiles, they are so happy to see us, and they are so happy to see each other. It has got to be the biggest reward in the middle of my day! It's also my chance to give the boy middle of the day hugs and kisses.

Today I got there a bit early. I got to watch the kids play and chat with some of the other parents. Since we've got a child in both classes, trying to remember who is in whose class is a bit challenging for me. It doesn't help that I don't do well at remembering people/names. So I was talking with a Mom to a boy in Ellie's class. They have a new baby as well; she is just a couple months older than Spencer. Anyway, we chit chatted about this and that... the PTA fundraiser, school pictures, the kids, etc... At some point there was a brief discussion about the kids talking and I said that the girls' talk non-stop. They definitely tell us what is on their mind, no holding back. The other Mom commented that that's a girl for ya. I grinned and left it at that.

Then as we were leaving, we all kinda walked out together. The boy was talking to his Mom about stuff, the Mom seemed to understand what he was saying but I hadn't a clue. I was figuring it out near the end. He was telling her about his day and what they did and that they didn't ride bikes today. When we caught up to the girls (who always run ahead and wait for us) I asked Ellie if this was a friend from her class. She's like yeah Mom this is Aden. Ellie went on to talk about being in class with Ms Susan, in an Ellie kinda way. Ellie talks in circles. She'll say, "I'm in school because I'm in school". Abby, clearer and more articulate, then piped in and told Aden's Mom all about her being in school with Ms Debbie's class.

The Mom looked at me and said... wow, they do talk a lot... ummm (with a puzzled look) WHY are they in this class? I really didn't want to tell her, but she was looking for a response. Well, the girls' are the mentor students in the class. I didn't want to make her feel bad; I wasn’t trying to be superior; I didn't want her to compare her son to our girls'; I didn't want the girls' to be viewed any differently.

There is one other mentor student in each class and to this day I don’t know who that is. I want to view each child for who they are without labels. They are only 3 years old with a lifetime ahead of them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTG Abby and Ellie! They are so stinkin'smart!

6:43 PM, September 15, 2005  
Blogger Estelle said...

Sounds like a blast... I used to love when the non pick up parent would swing by just to say hi to the kids on their lunch break... it was so sweet, and the kids always love having both parents there at once!

10:46 AM, September 16, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home