(Backing Up To) Halloween 2008
Deciding on costumes... Very early on Ellie had decided that she would be a ghost. She made her decision and she stuck with it. I found her a ghost costume on Craigslist and we were all happy.
Abby thought about being a ghost, a Dracula (I think), and something else. I don't really recall all the options we bounced around, but once we thought she was settled on something she changed her mind in the final days. We had everything to assemble any of her costume choices, except the ghost. She now wanted to be a ghost. We discussed making her a costume but Carie ended up finding this one pretty reasonable. We really loved Ellie's version of the ghost costume and I wish we would have had enough time to get a second one. And then she ended up losing the hood part of her costume and we went with plan B. The face paint.
Spencer was pretty easy. Last year after Halloween I found this rocket costume on clearance through Disney. It was such a huge steal (with free shipping no less) that I couldn't pass it up. I didn't even care if he actually wore it "for" Halloween; we thought he would at least have fun with it.



The celebrations all began Thursday morning when Spencer had his Halloween party at preschool. We had an eye appointment for Ellie that morning and then arrived at preschool just after the festivities had gotten started. All the kids had a great time. I did get to snap a few photos that morning.


Then Thursday evening was Spooktacular at Abby & Ellie's school. Carie and I helped get the event kicked off a few weeks ago and then we helped out a little that evening. It turned out pretty well, though I do have some ideas floating around in my head that I might share to switch things up a bit in the future. I need to get them written down! Bottom line, the kids had a great time! Abby managed to lose a portion of her ghost costume, somewhere around the time we were doing spin art cookie decorating. It has yet to show up and I imagine it won't. I didn't get a single photo taken that evening!
Friday afternoon I went looking for white face paint (due to the above incident) and was lucky to find some. Though, after looking at some of the pictures it looks more like a face mask than anything else. Oh well, it seemed to look okay that evening!
We tried to get dinner in before trick-or-treating. Abby & Ellie did great with the "you must eat your dinner before you go" ultimatum. Spencer though could have cared less! We finally were on our way at about 6:30 with the kids trick-or-treating with some friends. Spencer took a while to warm up. He didn't want anyone to look at him. Kind of hard to pull off on Halloween night! Then he insisted that I go up to the door with him and he wanted me to do all the talking. I was (mostly) happy to go to the door with him... we could have done without the whining... but it was helpful for me to navigate him around things since his rocket costume was a little bulky.

From left to right... Spencer (hiding), Malien, Alexis, Lexi, Abby, Ellie, Jenna.
The kids kept going, and going, and going. Finally someone decided they were thirsty and it dawned on us that it would have been brilliant to have been prepared with a water bottle. At this point we are a fair distance from home and I just know that the walk home would not be ideal. So I opt to go get the van and some beverages. When I started walking towards home I realized just how far we had gone. I finally make it home, get beverages, get in the van and head towards them. I met up with them and they were ready to go home. But once home they hit up a few of our close neighbors that they didn't get to earlier. Then we decide to go trick-or-treat at Katie & Steve's house. We arrived at about 8:30 and stayed far too late, especially since Spencer's basketball game the next morning was at 8:30 am.
When it was all said and done, the kids collected 12 pounds of candy. Yes, TWELVE pounds of candy between the 3 of them. It was so much that I just had to weigh it with our kitchen scale. Ellie collected the most with 5 1/2 pounds. Abby collected 3 1/2 pounds and Spencer collected 3 pounds. The thing is, Abby & Ellie hung together the whole night. Hmmmmm....
It was so late when we got home Friday night that they didn't go through their bags to really check out their loot. But Saturday afternoon they dumped them out to take a good look. They selected their favorite pieces to keep in their own little Ziploc bags and then offered up the remaining loot to the Candy Fairy. That night at bedtime they set out their bags for the Candy Fairy and by morning she had delivered them some cool prizes. Abby & Ellie got the new Tinkerbell movie to share and a couple Fairy books that they didn't already have. Spencer got an airplane rocket blaster thing that I got stuck in the tree on the first attempt. Nothing like standing outside, on a Sunday morning after the time change, in your backyard, in your "robot" (i.e. robe), fishing an airplane out of your tree with a 14' tree trimmer pole. Thankfully we did get it down!
Abby thought about being a ghost, a Dracula (I think), and something else. I don't really recall all the options we bounced around, but once we thought she was settled on something she changed her mind in the final days. We had everything to assemble any of her costume choices, except the ghost. She now wanted to be a ghost. We discussed making her a costume but Carie ended up finding this one pretty reasonable. We really loved Ellie's version of the ghost costume and I wish we would have had enough time to get a second one. And then she ended up losing the hood part of her costume and we went with plan B. The face paint.
Spencer was pretty easy. Last year after Halloween I found this rocket costume on clearance through Disney. It was such a huge steal (with free shipping no less) that I couldn't pass it up. I didn't even care if he actually wore it "for" Halloween; we thought he would at least have fun with it.
The celebrations all began Thursday morning when Spencer had his Halloween party at preschool. We had an eye appointment for Ellie that morning and then arrived at preschool just after the festivities had gotten started. All the kids had a great time. I did get to snap a few photos that morning.
Then Thursday evening was Spooktacular at Abby & Ellie's school. Carie and I helped get the event kicked off a few weeks ago and then we helped out a little that evening. It turned out pretty well, though I do have some ideas floating around in my head that I might share to switch things up a bit in the future. I need to get them written down! Bottom line, the kids had a great time! Abby managed to lose a portion of her ghost costume, somewhere around the time we were doing spin art cookie decorating. It has yet to show up and I imagine it won't. I didn't get a single photo taken that evening!
Friday afternoon I went looking for white face paint (due to the above incident) and was lucky to find some. Though, after looking at some of the pictures it looks more like a face mask than anything else. Oh well, it seemed to look okay that evening!
We tried to get dinner in before trick-or-treating. Abby & Ellie did great with the "you must eat your dinner before you go" ultimatum. Spencer though could have cared less! We finally were on our way at about 6:30 with the kids trick-or-treating with some friends. Spencer took a while to warm up. He didn't want anyone to look at him. Kind of hard to pull off on Halloween night! Then he insisted that I go up to the door with him and he wanted me to do all the talking. I was (mostly) happy to go to the door with him... we could have done without the whining... but it was helpful for me to navigate him around things since his rocket costume was a little bulky.
From left to right... Spencer (hiding), Malien, Alexis, Lexi, Abby, Ellie, Jenna.
The kids kept going, and going, and going. Finally someone decided they were thirsty and it dawned on us that it would have been brilliant to have been prepared with a water bottle. At this point we are a fair distance from home and I just know that the walk home would not be ideal. So I opt to go get the van and some beverages. When I started walking towards home I realized just how far we had gone. I finally make it home, get beverages, get in the van and head towards them. I met up with them and they were ready to go home. But once home they hit up a few of our close neighbors that they didn't get to earlier. Then we decide to go trick-or-treat at Katie & Steve's house. We arrived at about 8:30 and stayed far too late, especially since Spencer's basketball game the next morning was at 8:30 am.
When it was all said and done, the kids collected 12 pounds of candy. Yes, TWELVE pounds of candy between the 3 of them. It was so much that I just had to weigh it with our kitchen scale. Ellie collected the most with 5 1/2 pounds. Abby collected 3 1/2 pounds and Spencer collected 3 pounds. The thing is, Abby & Ellie hung together the whole night. Hmmmmm....
It was so late when we got home Friday night that they didn't go through their bags to really check out their loot. But Saturday afternoon they dumped them out to take a good look. They selected their favorite pieces to keep in their own little Ziploc bags and then offered up the remaining loot to the Candy Fairy. That night at bedtime they set out their bags for the Candy Fairy and by morning she had delivered them some cool prizes. Abby & Ellie got the new Tinkerbell movie to share and a couple Fairy books that they didn't already have. Spencer got an airplane rocket blaster thing that I got stuck in the tree on the first attempt. Nothing like standing outside, on a Sunday morning after the time change, in your backyard, in your "robot" (i.e. robe), fishing an airplane out of your tree with a 14' tree trimmer pole. Thankfully we did get it down!
Labels: Holiday's



2 Comments:
Sounds like a fun time was had by all. Also seems to be a ghost Halloween. J was a ghost too and I had to make his costume because I couldn't find one in his size anywhere. There's a picture on my blog as well.
wow Billy would love that little einsteins costume
Post a Comment
<< Home