He Shoots, He Scores
Basketball started today for The Boy. We arrived to discover their team name is the Gators and they get green shirts. Green happens to be Spencer's favorite color!
We also quickly discovered a benefit to soccer. There may be days that it is cold, but it is much quieter! Oh my, it was noisy. I'm attributing part of it do the craziness of the first day. I guess we'll see!
He's been talking about playing basketball for months. Any chance he gets he tells anyone who will listen that he signed up for basketball and the coach is going to tell him which way to go.
Once we got there he left all that excitement at the door and suddenly he wanted us to “play with him”.
Once we got there he left all that excitement at the door and suddenly he wanted us to “play with him”.
This isn't a new tactic for him. We saw this when we attempted swimming lessons last winter. We then opted to skip swimming for a while to give him time. We see this at Church when he goes to the nursery for part of the service. We play with him, get him settled, leave and all is well. We saw this with the start of preschool. We then talked about how preschool was a special place for him, his new friends, and his teacher. We talked about how much fun he would have and how it worked with drop off and pick up. It went GREAT. He really has no problem being away from us. He is actually better if we aren’t there. And now we are faced with it at basketball.
We are friends with the coach and Spencer knows her daughter, Jenna. The first 1/2 of the time was practicing... yeah, practicing basketball with seven 3 & 4 year olds… a few of which seem scared of catching the ball. The coach didn't have much of a voice, kids were going everywhere, and Spencer really wanted us to play with him so I offered to help out. Once the game portion started I took the sidelines. It was kinda funny, Spencer didn't want to get on the court when it was his turn and Jenna didn't want to get off the court. I'd walk Spencer out and Carie would pick up Jenna off the floor and carry her back. Abby, Ellie & Jenna's sister Alexis had a good time!
The thing is, once he got on the court he did fine. He got to shoot the basketball a couple of times and made both of his shots!!!
We are friends with the coach and Spencer knows her daughter, Jenna. The first 1/2 of the time was practicing... yeah, practicing basketball with seven 3 & 4 year olds… a few of which seem scared of catching the ball. The coach didn't have much of a voice, kids were going everywhere, and Spencer really wanted us to play with him so I offered to help out. Once the game portion started I took the sidelines. It was kinda funny, Spencer didn't want to get on the court when it was his turn and Jenna didn't want to get off the court. I'd walk Spencer out and Carie would pick up Jenna off the floor and carry her back. Abby, Ellie & Jenna's sister Alexis had a good time!
Here is a photo of one of his shots. Yep, it went in!
I just wish he were more able to get out there and have fun. He wants to so bad. I don't know why he holds back.
We also quickly discovered a benefit to soccer. There may be days that it is cold, but it is much quieter! Oh my, it was noisy. I'm attributing part of it do the craziness of the first day. I guess we'll see!
Labels: Kid Activities, The Boy



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home