And While I'm At It
Ranting... that is. Surely it was clear that I was ranting in my previous post. :)
I don't get school lunches. I just don't get it. Are they really different than when I went to school? I don't know. I was a kid then and I'm a parent now. Way different perspectives. But what I do know is that they aren't healthy daily choices for kids.
Now... some kids can totally get away with this style of eating with no apparent effects. But some kids can't! Just like some adults can eat whatever they want day in and day out and be a perfectly healthy weight. But not all adults can! Why do we even put our kid’s bodies to the test?
And suddenly this week they don't just have 3 options, they now have 5 options. Why? Why more options? It isn't like option E & F are the healthy options. They are the same as A, B & C on a different day!
Today, for instance...
A = Chicken Nuggets w/ a roll
B = BBQ Sandwich
C = "Fun on the Run"
D = Quesadilla
E = Pepperoni Pizza Salad
*** Served with mashed potatoes, choice of fruit, and choice of milk.
What's the deal with the mashed potatoes? I can't believe they are really counting that as the vegetable! It really ought to be counted as a starch. Are mashed potatoes yummy? Heck yeah! I happen to love mashed potatoes! I also know that they aren't a healthy option as part of a regular rotating menu.
Now, if your neck hairs are all standing up and you are getting all huffy go back and read some of the key points. 1) healthy daily choices and 2) regular rotating menu. I believe that we can have a lot of things in moderation. School lunch menus are not "in moderation". They are a rotating set of menus and these are items that appear daily and weekly. This is a foundation!
Moving on...
A: Breaded chicken nuggets... roll... mashed potatoes???
B: BBQ Chicken sandwich... served on a bun... and mashed potatoes??
C: Fun on the Run isn't served with mashed potatoes... thank goodness. But a baked pretzel and yogurt (Trix yogurt at that!) as a lunch entree? And then there isn't a vegetable at all.
D: Quesadilla & mashed potatoes? The jury is out whether or not mashed potatoes are served with this entree. A friend had this option and she didn't have potatoes. But they can also request to ommit an item.
E: The salad also isn't served with mashed potatoes. But the salad has very minimal nutrition. Simple iceberg lettuce... lowest nutritional value possible... and lets top it with a few slices of pepperoni. Now, I'm personally not all that adventurous with my salad. But a simple use of romaine lettuce would be a place to start. And seriously, the kids don't notice. Tomorrow they'll offer "Chicken Chef Salad". Sounds better, eh? Think again. Where do you think the leftover breaded chicken nuggets from today go?
Choice of fruit = serve yourself food cart item. The credit here is that sometimes it is fresh fruit. But often this fresh fruit is served in an unfriendly manner making it harder for many of the kids to eat. Sure, they could ask for help. But not all kids will and even if they did there aren't enough helpers.
Choice of milk = kids choose chocolate or strawberry flavored milk daily.
All of it is just so processed. Some of the items you'd think... "Oh that can't be too bad!" But then go have lunch with your kids. Check it out and see how it is really executed. You'd be amazed!
I have an idea! Offer fewer options and actually make some of the items!
I wonder what, if anything, I could do to make an impact. The thing is... so many people really do feel that these lunches are so great.
Look past the title folks, look past the title.
Chicken Chef Salad sounds good. Turkey & Cheese Sub sounds good. Doesn't it? Go check it out!
I don't get school lunches. I just don't get it. Are they really different than when I went to school? I don't know. I was a kid then and I'm a parent now. Way different perspectives. But what I do know is that they aren't healthy daily choices for kids.
Now... some kids can totally get away with this style of eating with no apparent effects. But some kids can't! Just like some adults can eat whatever they want day in and day out and be a perfectly healthy weight. But not all adults can! Why do we even put our kid’s bodies to the test?
And suddenly this week they don't just have 3 options, they now have 5 options. Why? Why more options? It isn't like option E & F are the healthy options. They are the same as A, B & C on a different day!
Today, for instance...
A = Chicken Nuggets w/ a roll
B = BBQ Sandwich
C = "Fun on the Run"
D = Quesadilla
E = Pepperoni Pizza Salad
*** Served with mashed potatoes, choice of fruit, and choice of milk.
What's the deal with the mashed potatoes? I can't believe they are really counting that as the vegetable! It really ought to be counted as a starch. Are mashed potatoes yummy? Heck yeah! I happen to love mashed potatoes! I also know that they aren't a healthy option as part of a regular rotating menu.
Now, if your neck hairs are all standing up and you are getting all huffy go back and read some of the key points. 1) healthy daily choices and 2) regular rotating menu. I believe that we can have a lot of things in moderation. School lunch menus are not "in moderation". They are a rotating set of menus and these are items that appear daily and weekly. This is a foundation!
Moving on...
A: Breaded chicken nuggets... roll... mashed potatoes???
B: BBQ Chicken sandwich... served on a bun... and mashed potatoes??
C: Fun on the Run isn't served with mashed potatoes... thank goodness. But a baked pretzel and yogurt (Trix yogurt at that!) as a lunch entree? And then there isn't a vegetable at all.
D: Quesadilla & mashed potatoes? The jury is out whether or not mashed potatoes are served with this entree. A friend had this option and she didn't have potatoes. But they can also request to ommit an item.
E: The salad also isn't served with mashed potatoes. But the salad has very minimal nutrition. Simple iceberg lettuce... lowest nutritional value possible... and lets top it with a few slices of pepperoni. Now, I'm personally not all that adventurous with my salad. But a simple use of romaine lettuce would be a place to start. And seriously, the kids don't notice. Tomorrow they'll offer "Chicken Chef Salad". Sounds better, eh? Think again. Where do you think the leftover breaded chicken nuggets from today go?
Choice of fruit = serve yourself food cart item. The credit here is that sometimes it is fresh fruit. But often this fresh fruit is served in an unfriendly manner making it harder for many of the kids to eat. Sure, they could ask for help. But not all kids will and even if they did there aren't enough helpers.
Choice of milk = kids choose chocolate or strawberry flavored milk daily.
All of it is just so processed. Some of the items you'd think... "Oh that can't be too bad!" But then go have lunch with your kids. Check it out and see how it is really executed. You'd be amazed!
I have an idea! Offer fewer options and actually make some of the items!
I wonder what, if anything, I could do to make an impact. The thing is... so many people really do feel that these lunches are so great.
Look past the title folks, look past the title.
Chicken Chef Salad sounds good. Turkey & Cheese Sub sounds good. Doesn't it? Go check it out!
Labels: School



1 Comments:
Honestly, this sounds a lot like the lunches I was served in elementary school, or you could go around the side and use your money to buy cookies, little debbie cakes or fruit bars (popcicles).
Post a Comment
<< Home