"Snow Day"
Go vote, we did!
After our zoo adventure I dropped off B&B and took the 3 girls to go vote. Carie had figured out that the voting office, for early voting, was still open and we could just show up. So we did! We got in line at 2:57 and we waited for a good long time. We were so close to the front and Ellie announces that she needs to use the restroom, and Lexi followed suit. Thankfully the folks we had been standing with for the past hour were kind enough to hold our spot so I could get them to a restroom. Then finally at about 4:35 we made it in the door of the election office and it was smooth sailing from there. I completed a form that told them who I was and whatnot. Then we got to go hang out in a waiting area. But hey, we got to sit! It wasn't long and then my name was called to vote. I showed the girls what the ballot looked like and what I had to do. I filled in my circles, turned it in, got our stickers, and we were out of there. It didn't take long as I had already looked over a sample ballot. We were in the van and driving away by 4:50.
The girls did an amazing job waiting. I wasn't prepared for a long wait and I totally should have been! In the end they thought it was great to be able to have that experience. They also were surprised at how it worked. They were thrilled with the stickers and they got some to wear to school today. The funniest thing was that Lexi was thinking that we would get bobble heads. Funny funny kids!
They know that Carie and Lexi’s mom are going to vote today and as we drove by the polling place I showed them where they would go. The girls announced that they wanted to go vote again if school was cancelled for a 2nd day. I guess the stickers were worth the wait!?!?
I then ruined their dinners by taking them to get an ice cream treat. And because they hadn't been together long enough that day, Abby & Ellie hung out at Lexi's house before finally coming home. We had a late dinner and called it a day.
Carie was all apologetic for me/us having to stand in line for so long, especially if she didn’t end up having to. The thing is, we just don’t know how long the lines are going to be today and I can’t see pulling the girls out of school for hours if we don’t need to. Especially since they missed just recently for the whole airport thing and then Ellie missed some time for her eye appointment. Predictions are that the lines will be quite long at peak times. So, standing in line it was… And it all worked out just fine. I got to vote. The girls got to be involved. Carie voted this morning after Spencer’s conferences and she was in and out of there within 15 minutes. Lucky her!It will be interesting to watch the results tonight.
The girls had expressed an interest in going with us to vote. They wanted to personally participate in the experience. We were happy to accommodate, but as the day drew near we were evaluating the possible scenarios that would work. None of them seemed all that promising, but we were certain we could figure it out. By about now we were kicking ourselves for not voting by mail!
And then, at 7:30 on Monday morning we got a call. Actually, we got 4 calls. One to every number our school had on file. School was being cancelled due to a water main break. To say the kids were excited is an understatement. To get an unexpected "snow day" on such a beautiful fall day (with record setting temps of 78) was wonderful. So I decided to take the day off as well and we decided to head to the zoo. But then Spencer puked all over the kitchen floor. Plan was revised and I took Abby, Ellie, B&B, and Lexi (one of A&E's friends) to the zoo while Carie (totally opted!) to stay home with Spencer.
And then, at 7:30 on Monday morning we got a call. Actually, we got 4 calls. One to every number our school had on file. School was being cancelled due to a water main break. To say the kids were excited is an understatement. To get an unexpected "snow day" on such a beautiful fall day (with record setting temps of 78) was wonderful. So I decided to take the day off as well and we decided to head to the zoo. But then Spencer puked all over the kitchen floor. Plan was revised and I took Abby, Ellie, B&B, and Lexi (one of A&E's friends) to the zoo while Carie (totally opted!) to stay home with Spencer.
After our zoo adventure I dropped off B&B and took the 3 girls to go vote. Carie had figured out that the voting office, for early voting, was still open and we could just show up. So we did! We got in line at 2:57 and we waited for a good long time. We were so close to the front and Ellie announces that she needs to use the restroom, and Lexi followed suit. Thankfully the folks we had been standing with for the past hour were kind enough to hold our spot so I could get them to a restroom. Then finally at about 4:35 we made it in the door of the election office and it was smooth sailing from there. I completed a form that told them who I was and whatnot. Then we got to go hang out in a waiting area. But hey, we got to sit! It wasn't long and then my name was called to vote. I showed the girls what the ballot looked like and what I had to do. I filled in my circles, turned it in, got our stickers, and we were out of there. It didn't take long as I had already looked over a sample ballot. We were in the van and driving away by 4:50.
The girls did an amazing job waiting. I wasn't prepared for a long wait and I totally should have been! In the end they thought it was great to be able to have that experience. They also were surprised at how it worked. They were thrilled with the stickers and they got some to wear to school today. The funniest thing was that Lexi was thinking that we would get bobble heads. Funny funny kids!
They know that Carie and Lexi’s mom are going to vote today and as we drove by the polling place I showed them where they would go. The girls announced that they wanted to go vote again if school was cancelled for a 2nd day. I guess the stickers were worth the wait!?!?
I then ruined their dinners by taking them to get an ice cream treat. And because they hadn't been together long enough that day, Abby & Ellie hung out at Lexi's house before finally coming home. We had a late dinner and called it a day.
Carie was all apologetic for me/us having to stand in line for so long, especially if she didn’t end up having to. The thing is, we just don’t know how long the lines are going to be today and I can’t see pulling the girls out of school for hours if we don’t need to. Especially since they missed just recently for the whole airport thing and then Ellie missed some time for her eye appointment. Predictions are that the lines will be quite long at peak times. So, standing in line it was… And it all worked out just fine. I got to vote. The girls got to be involved. Carie voted this morning after Spencer’s conferences and she was in and out of there within 15 minutes. Lucky her!
Labels: Politics, School Break



1 Comments:
Let’s fight back on Proposition 8. Let’s boycott California wines, produce and travel. Let’s publicize it. Let’s embarrass them. It worked a few years ago in Colorado. What do say?
Post a Comment
<< Home