To Our Governor
RE: Safe Haven Law
I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that I don’t understand how the lawmakers could have gotten this so “wrong” (your perception). And when it was put to the test all we heard was this was not the “intent” of the law. That doesn’t give me much confidence in our lawmakers OR our HHS leaders. And now you have been pushed to your limits to call a special session, a costly special session that will undoubtedly cost the tax payers of our great state.
Personally, I think it is a GOOD thing that these families are coming forward for help. I can’t imagine that it is easy on any of them. Do I think that there are alternate avenues that should be taken? Yes. Do I think “abandoning” your pre-teen or teen is an ideal or even okay thing? No!
But CLEARLY these families are in need of help and I can only imagine that there are many many more families like them. So WHY is it MORE important to call a special session to put an end to this? Why is it so important to revise the Safe Haven law to accurately outline the “intent” as you all intended to do in the first place? Now, I’ve heard mention of an effort to evaluate services to help these families and families like theirs. But the focus at the moment seems to be clearing up your mistakes. WHY does HELP take a back seat to fixing your mistakes?
INSTEAD why not put your first focus on evaluating the services available, the services needed, what is working and what isn’t working, and the process one must go through to get services? Why not focus on the solution to the problems these families are facing?
Leave The Safe Haven law alone. The law, as it stands today, would be your test to see if you are getting it right.
Yeah, I understand that adding these kids to the system is costly. Yeah, I understand that it would be faster to change the bill than it would be to complete the effort to evaluate services and find help. But really, what is in the best interest of THESE KIDS?
Wouldn’t the $80,000 you are spending on a special session be helpful to the social services programs?
I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that I don’t understand how the lawmakers could have gotten this so “wrong” (your perception). And when it was put to the test all we heard was this was not the “intent” of the law. That doesn’t give me much confidence in our lawmakers OR our HHS leaders. And now you have been pushed to your limits to call a special session, a costly special session that will undoubtedly cost the tax payers of our great state.
Personally, I think it is a GOOD thing that these families are coming forward for help. I can’t imagine that it is easy on any of them. Do I think that there are alternate avenues that should be taken? Yes. Do I think “abandoning” your pre-teen or teen is an ideal or even okay thing? No!
But CLEARLY these families are in need of help and I can only imagine that there are many many more families like them. So WHY is it MORE important to call a special session to put an end to this? Why is it so important to revise the Safe Haven law to accurately outline the “intent” as you all intended to do in the first place? Now, I’ve heard mention of an effort to evaluate services to help these families and families like theirs. But the focus at the moment seems to be clearing up your mistakes. WHY does HELP take a back seat to fixing your mistakes?
INSTEAD why not put your first focus on evaluating the services available, the services needed, what is working and what isn’t working, and the process one must go through to get services? Why not focus on the solution to the problems these families are facing?
Leave The Safe Haven law alone. The law, as it stands today, would be your test to see if you are getting it right.
Yeah, I understand that adding these kids to the system is costly. Yeah, I understand that it would be faster to change the bill than it would be to complete the effort to evaluate services and find help. But really, what is in the best interest of THESE KIDS?
Wouldn’t the $80,000 you are spending on a special session be helpful to the social services programs?
Labels: Politics



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home