Monday, October 27, 2008

Annual Pumpkin Carving

Last night we tackled the pumpkins. At least that is how it felt going into it. Several of us are under the weather and we all seemed to be tired. Moods were reflective of such analysis! I suggested that waiting a night may be an option to consider and I was quickly and unanimously overruled by the little people. Maybe it was just me who was feeling less than stellar? :)

Carie and I made a quick pact that neither of us would be photographed during this event. I mostly held up to my agreement. Given that she has full authority to delete the one (cute) photo, I'll just leave it at that.

It turned out to be a great night and I'm so glad that we went through with it! I think carving pumpkins really brings out a person’s personality. And to no surprise, Abby thoroughly enjoyed digging in and cleaning out the guts. She has no qualms about the sliminess of the job and offered to clean out the guts of all the pumpkins. Ellie was willing to clean out the seeds so long as they weren't attached to a bunch of slime, and utensils were absolutely required. Spencer was more involved in the whole process this year but didn't much care for the slime either.

As tradition goes, they all designed the look of their own pumpkins. I love how the girls draw out their design on paper and then walk through their design with us. Carie then copied their designs from paper to pumpkin. After their seal of approval, we began carving. This year both Abby & Ellie participated in the carving of their own pumpkin. They thought they were hot stuff! I carved Spencer’s pumpkin with him on my lap giving me directions on what shape to carve where. Thank goodness I got it right the first time! He was easily entertained by putting the pieces back together.

After carving we like to take the pumpkins outside for a photo op, but this year it was way too cold and windy to even consider this option. The anticipated temp this morning at 8am was supposed to be 28 with a wind chill of 15. Time for winter coats, hats, and gloves! We kept the pumpkins inside with the hopes of them lasting until Friday!

And... Yeah, gotta love the outfits and accessories.






Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger gabrielle said...

wow these look great, I love the swim goggles for carving. I can't believe how grown up spencer looks in his pics, he could easily be mistaken for a 4 or 5yr old.
You asked about sewing/craft on my blog, I have been doing it for years but it really had to take a back seat over last year while I wrote my thesis so just getting back into it this year. I joked with ang that I feel like I have come out of the 'crafting closet' so to speak as suddenly it seems to have become 'cool', probably places like etsy have contributed. Guess I just hadn't really blogged about that and my love of retro/vintage and op shopping, the blog was just about the kids

9:57 AM, October 28, 2008  
Blogger Shannon said...

Looks like a fun time! I love the pictures of them with their pumpkins. I love Abby's pumpkin!

I agree, Spencer is so tall that he makes the three of them look like triplets!!

11:46 AM, October 28, 2008  
Blogger Tanya said...

Love the goggles and they did great on their pumpkins, both design and cutting. I am so not artistic!

1:26 PM, October 28, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

your jack-o-lanterns look great!

love that they are wearing their swim goggles! what a smart idea! not sure if they are rated for this sport or not...

we're going to tackle ours on thurs night. we told Harris how moldy our neighbor's pumpkin got after only a few days in their house...so, it was his idea to wait til the last minute!

2:49 PM, October 28, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg i LOVe that last pic. the fire and the jack o lanterns.......oh how I wish that was MY pic so I could scrapbook it. hmmmm.....maybe i'll be stealing your idea. *wink*
your kids are gorgeous. maggie likes their swim goggles.
hugs
rae

10:52 PM, October 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home