Labor Day Weekend Recap
Finally... here is a look at last weekend!
It was awesome! Kicking it off with a hooky day on Friday sure didn't hurt!
Saturday afternoon we went to see our first production of the season (The Little Engine That Could) at The Rose. We have season tickets with some friends and after the show we went to their house for a bbq. It was heaven! They live on an acreage in such a perfect area. The weather was perfect. The company couldn't have been better. The kids absolutely love hanging out together. What a great day!
Sunday I went up to Church to fulfill our commitment to teach Sunday school. The kids had a nice slow start to the morning and they finished packing us up to head out to the lake. We arrived around noon-ish and were there for the duration of the day. The kids had tons of fun swimming, boat riding, jet skiing, tubing, water skiing, and just being kids.



All of our kids went on the Jet Ski a few times. The girls were really excited about it and outright asked if they could go. Spencer needed a little bit of encouragement to ride but once we got going he couldn't get enough. Even near the end of our ride when I crashed a couple of wakes and sent water flying at us. We both just laughed and he told me not to do that again.


The girls had ridden on the tube earlier in the day and then Abby decided she wanted to try to water ski. Wow! Way to go Abby! She gave it a solid effort. She got up several times and went for a short distance. Unfortunately the "key" is to make it all around the island. She is convinced she can... next time. I know she can. We were so proud of her.



Unfortunately several family members then thought they should pressure Ellie into giving it a try. Thankfully I got in a nice little chat with Ellie to let her know that it was totally her decision and it whatever she wanted to do was perfect. She could give it a try if she wanted to. We'd be there to help her. But if she didn't want to, that was totally okay with us. Thankfully I got her to focus in on me and my message instead of everyone else. She just didn't seem that interested in it and it didn't seem necessary to push her. She opted to give it a try another time. No big deal. All this pressure irritates me. This stuff doesn't or shouldn't define who they are.
But then I hear my (6yo) cousin say... "I thought Abby was the chicken, not Ellie." My other (6yo) cousin was standing right next to her and kind of thought she was cute. Thankfully neither of our girls was there. I told her that no one is a "chicken" and that is inappropriate! These two aren't particularly nice and it really irritates us. I don't much care to have my kids around them all that often. But they are the same age (6 girls born within 6 months of each other) and our kids really think the one that is local is cool. It just kills me that they think so highly of them! I just wish the feelings appeared to be mutual. I just can't take that snootiness coming from these young kids... and we have seen this go on for a few years now.
So after a long and fun day at the lake we stop at Zestos on the way out of town. We finally pull out at 10:00 and after a potty stop, a blankie stop, and some other forgotten stop we pull into the garage with all 3 sleeping children (unheard of!) at 10:55.
Monday Abby was begging to go back to the lake. Great Grandma was so kind to plant that as an option before we left Sunday night. Ugh! Abby was all convinced that if we'd go back up on Monday that she would most certainly be able to water ski all the way around the island. Ya know what, I'm sure she could have. But we couldn't spend another full day at the lake and going for a few hours just isn't a realistic option. So we ended up going down to the big slides and fed the swans and ducks more bread than they could eat. Our friends met us downtown and the kids were thrilled to see each other again. Then we treated ourselves to Ted & Wally's before heading home for a very late and much needed nap for Spencer.






After everyone was settled Carie and I kicked it into high gear and recovered the house. We had come and gone all weekend and it truly looked like it!
Later that night Carie's sister & BIL stopped by for a bit to kill some time before they had to pick someone up at the airport. After the kids were settled into bed we all sat back and vegged out.
It was awesome! Kicking it off with a hooky day on Friday sure didn't hurt!
Saturday afternoon we went to see our first production of the season (The Little Engine That Could) at The Rose. We have season tickets with some friends and after the show we went to their house for a bbq. It was heaven! They live on an acreage in such a perfect area. The weather was perfect. The company couldn't have been better. The kids absolutely love hanging out together. What a great day!
Sunday I went up to Church to fulfill our commitment to teach Sunday school. The kids had a nice slow start to the morning and they finished packing us up to head out to the lake. We arrived around noon-ish and were there for the duration of the day. The kids had tons of fun swimming, boat riding, jet skiing, tubing, water skiing, and just being kids.
All of our kids went on the Jet Ski a few times. The girls were really excited about it and outright asked if they could go. Spencer needed a little bit of encouragement to ride but once we got going he couldn't get enough. Even near the end of our ride when I crashed a couple of wakes and sent water flying at us. We both just laughed and he told me not to do that again.
The girls had ridden on the tube earlier in the day and then Abby decided she wanted to try to water ski. Wow! Way to go Abby! She gave it a solid effort. She got up several times and went for a short distance. Unfortunately the "key" is to make it all around the island. She is convinced she can... next time. I know she can. We were so proud of her.
Unfortunately several family members then thought they should pressure Ellie into giving it a try. Thankfully I got in a nice little chat with Ellie to let her know that it was totally her decision and it whatever she wanted to do was perfect. She could give it a try if she wanted to. We'd be there to help her. But if she didn't want to, that was totally okay with us. Thankfully I got her to focus in on me and my message instead of everyone else. She just didn't seem that interested in it and it didn't seem necessary to push her. She opted to give it a try another time. No big deal. All this pressure irritates me. This stuff doesn't or shouldn't define who they are.
But then I hear my (6yo) cousin say... "I thought Abby was the chicken, not Ellie." My other (6yo) cousin was standing right next to her and kind of thought she was cute. Thankfully neither of our girls was there. I told her that no one is a "chicken" and that is inappropriate! These two aren't particularly nice and it really irritates us. I don't much care to have my kids around them all that often. But they are the same age (6 girls born within 6 months of each other) and our kids really think the one that is local is cool. It just kills me that they think so highly of them! I just wish the feelings appeared to be mutual. I just can't take that snootiness coming from these young kids... and we have seen this go on for a few years now.
So after a long and fun day at the lake we stop at Zestos on the way out of town. We finally pull out at 10:00 and after a potty stop, a blankie stop, and some other forgotten stop we pull into the garage with all 3 sleeping children (unheard of!) at 10:55.
Monday Abby was begging to go back to the lake. Great Grandma was so kind to plant that as an option before we left Sunday night. Ugh! Abby was all convinced that if we'd go back up on Monday that she would most certainly be able to water ski all the way around the island. Ya know what, I'm sure she could have. But we couldn't spend another full day at the lake and going for a few hours just isn't a realistic option. So we ended up going down to the big slides and fed the swans and ducks more bread than they could eat. Our friends met us downtown and the kids were thrilled to see each other again. Then we treated ourselves to Ted & Wally's before heading home for a very late and much needed nap for Spencer.
After everyone was settled Carie and I kicked it into high gear and recovered the house. We had come and gone all weekend and it truly looked like it!
Later that night Carie's sister & BIL stopped by for a bit to kill some time before they had to pick someone up at the airport. After the kids were settled into bed we all sat back and vegged out.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home