Preschool Visit
Spencer got an opportunity this morning to visit his preschool class and meet his teacher. He was so cute!
Prior to going in he was visibly excited, he could hardly contain himself. He burst out of the van and was ready to go in! He told me he was going to go in and say “Good morning Mrs. W, my name is Spencer!” As soon as we walked through that door he suddenly was quiet and reserved… and didn’t say any of that.
When it was his turn he walked right up and met his teacher and simply nodded yes to all of her questions. He got his name tag and a folder with information for the parents. And... she referred to us as "parents" without the need for any offline conversation! She then told him about some special things they get to do in their class… and she told each student something different! Then we went on a little tour. His teacher had given us a schedule for their day with what rooms they'll be in and when so we got to walk through that timeline. His class will spend time in 5 different rooms with each room having a different focus… homeroom, art, music, cooking, and play. We all ended up in the play area where the kids got some time to check out the toys and get to know each other.
While Carie has talked to his teacher on the phone prior to today, this was our first face to face meeting. Our first impression is that she is awesome! I look forward to getting to know her as the school year gets started. I'm confident that he is going to have a really great time!
The plan for the first day is that Carie will take him and we’ll both be there at pickup time! If I go at drop off I know he’ll really want me to stay and “play with him”. So we’ll go through our normal morning routine and surprise him at pick up time.
I also continue to be grateful that he didn't get selected for the peer model position at our school. I know I was angry at how it turned out, and I’m still not happy with how it was handled. Since then I've had more face time with that preschool teacher and the para's and I'm not really impressed. Part of it, I'm certain, is due to how they handled things last spring. But overall I'm just not impressed and I'd be surprised if that opinion changes. The ELL preschool teacher though, she rocks! Wow – she is incredible! Unfortunately that is an all day program and more than what we are looking for at the moment. But Abby & Ellie's 3yr preschool teachers set the bar pretty darn high! I'd love for him to have an opportunity to be in one of their classes, but I also see the potential for him staying put with the preschool we chose for this year.
We'll have to see where this year leads us! So far it is a really great start!
Edited to add... To clear up any confusion, the preschool he is attending is a private preschool and not at all associated with our public school district.
We have no prior personal experience with this preschool except that we did look at it as an option for Abby & Ellie 3 years ago. They actually were on the list until our top choice became an option. We chose differently for Abby & Ellie for specific reasons and those options are no longer available as they were 2 & 3 years ago. This place continues to have a huge reputation of being a top notch preschool. My only issue then and continues to be now is that they do not have an outdoor play area or an indoor gym area. This is a biggie for me. But there were so many other positives about this school that we decided to go for it and give it a shot. After all, he is only there twice a week at 2 1/2 hours at a time. I just feel strongly about gross motor movement in a social setting such as this. Not because he needs help in that area (HA), just because it is good for their bodies.
Prior to going in he was visibly excited, he could hardly contain himself. He burst out of the van and was ready to go in! He told me he was going to go in and say “Good morning Mrs. W, my name is Spencer!” As soon as we walked through that door he suddenly was quiet and reserved… and didn’t say any of that.
When it was his turn he walked right up and met his teacher and simply nodded yes to all of her questions. He got his name tag and a folder with information for the parents. And... she referred to us as "parents" without the need for any offline conversation! She then told him about some special things they get to do in their class… and she told each student something different! Then we went on a little tour. His teacher had given us a schedule for their day with what rooms they'll be in and when so we got to walk through that timeline. His class will spend time in 5 different rooms with each room having a different focus… homeroom, art, music, cooking, and play. We all ended up in the play area where the kids got some time to check out the toys and get to know each other.
While Carie has talked to his teacher on the phone prior to today, this was our first face to face meeting. Our first impression is that she is awesome! I look forward to getting to know her as the school year gets started. I'm confident that he is going to have a really great time!
The plan for the first day is that Carie will take him and we’ll both be there at pickup time! If I go at drop off I know he’ll really want me to stay and “play with him”. So we’ll go through our normal morning routine and surprise him at pick up time.
I also continue to be grateful that he didn't get selected for the peer model position at our school. I know I was angry at how it turned out, and I’m still not happy with how it was handled. Since then I've had more face time with that preschool teacher and the para's and I'm not really impressed. Part of it, I'm certain, is due to how they handled things last spring. But overall I'm just not impressed and I'd be surprised if that opinion changes. The ELL preschool teacher though, she rocks! Wow – she is incredible! Unfortunately that is an all day program and more than what we are looking for at the moment. But Abby & Ellie's 3yr preschool teachers set the bar pretty darn high! I'd love for him to have an opportunity to be in one of their classes, but I also see the potential for him staying put with the preschool we chose for this year.
We'll have to see where this year leads us! So far it is a really great start!
Edited to add... To clear up any confusion, the preschool he is attending is a private preschool and not at all associated with our public school district.
We have no prior personal experience with this preschool except that we did look at it as an option for Abby & Ellie 3 years ago. They actually were on the list until our top choice became an option. We chose differently for Abby & Ellie for specific reasons and those options are no longer available as they were 2 & 3 years ago. This place continues to have a huge reputation of being a top notch preschool. My only issue then and continues to be now is that they do not have an outdoor play area or an indoor gym area. This is a biggie for me. But there were so many other positives about this school that we decided to go for it and give it a shot. After all, he is only there twice a week at 2 1/2 hours at a time. I just feel strongly about gross motor movement in a social setting such as this. Not because he needs help in that area (HA), just because it is good for their bodies.



1 Comments:
I think it's GREAT that the teacher acknowledged you two as parents.
I saw your family in the Pride parade in our city this June and love following the story of your family!
Kudos for staying here!
Post a Comment
<< Home