Thursday, September 04, 2008

The First And The Last

This is a first for me... talking about Republicans on my blog. I'm hoping it will be my last!

I had to check it out. I had to watch the Republican National Convention last night to see who this Palin was. I have absolutely no intention of voting for her, but I still had to see what all the buzz was about.

I actually didn’t know anything about Palin or the fact that McCain had picked his VP running mate until this past Saturday night. I’m assuming this was old news by this point. It came up in discussion when we were hanging out with our friends. It was a great conversation! When we got home I couldn’t help but look into it a bit more. I think all I could say was… wow!

This topic was again brought up at the lake Sunday afternoon. Being in different company and different views, it wasn’t as lengthy or nearly as nice as the conversation was the previous night. Of course one of the main contributors was a man who I wouldn’t ever expect to see the plausibility that McCain settled on a woman as a running mate to collect some of the Hillary voters, along with a long list of many other concerns.

This same man had the audacity to tell me that “our issues” don’t really matter because “look how far we have come”. Never mind how far we have yet to go. I happen to live in a state that hasn’t made progress, so don’t assume that all the coverage of same sex marriage in California has any current direct benefit to my family. Sure, there is benefit. We are making progress and because of that we benefit. I get that. But I still have no legal rights to marry my partner and I have no legal parental rights for 2 of my 3 children. If I would die today our government and legal system would not view my girls as my children and my son’s future would be in jeopardy. Why should I be happy with where our government is at on this issue?

I have to admit, if I were a swing voter and were waiting for that speech to cinch the deal for me, it would have. How one can be a swing voter when the candidates’ views are so widely different is beyond me, but if I were they would have definitely picked up some ground.

While I fast forwarded through the speech prior to her taking stage (I just couldn’t listen to Rudy any longer), I couldn't not watch all that she had to say. I thought she was good, really really good! She was convincing. She was eloquent. As far as the Republicans are concerned, I'd imagine they think that she fully delivered.

Oh, and kudos to the camera person who caught the youngest daughter licking the entire palm of her hand (ewww) to smooth out her baby brother's hair (awww).

But... After all the dust has settled a bit, I'm left thinking that she didn't really talk about HER. She defended herself against some of the recent attacks, but I didn't really feel that she played offense. It was just a really well written speech that was delivered exceptionally well.

Her record and her beliefs downright scare me. I'm afraid that people will get caught up in all the eloquence and charm and forget to ask the questions and look at the facts.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Tanya said...

Too funny, we were talking about this at work today as well and I am NOT one to talk about politics. I have my views and they have theirs and nothing I say is going to change their minds, so why bring it up. But someone directly asked me what I thought about her, so we discussed it. Another scary thing is McCain is older and there's a chance that if he becomes president his VP may actually serve as Pres.

4:21 PM, September 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home