Monday, June 02, 2008

Birthday Party UPs and DOWNs

Both birthday parties went swimmingly on Saturday. The weather was pretty nice, the clown/magician showed up and rocked the house, Carie pulled off her cake decorating project that I begged for, the kids had a blast and left at the conclusion of the party. With this incredible experience behind us, I shouldn't fret about large kid parties - in our home - anymore. This is definitely the UP part of the day and I'll write more about it when I can get a chance to share pictures. Hopefully there are pictures to share!

We had a small lull between the parties, a lull that grew even smaller by the time we got the kids party completely wrapped up and the family started arriving. The family gathering was smaller than usual with Grandpa & Yia Yia moving, uncle Micah & family not being available (which is a whole nother topic), and Uncle Jeff getting sick.

This is where it goes downhill...

Just after we get into the swing of the family party Ellie comes up to me (looking all serious) and whispers something in my ear.

"I really miss Grandpa and Yia Yia and I forget what they look like."

Talk about direct knife to the heart. This has got to be one of the hardest things for me, as a parent, to deal with. It just kills me to see them hurting so badly. It simply brings me to tears. I know Carie is struggling with it to. The real sucky part is that we can't do a single thing to "fix it". I don't need to fix everything in their life, but this is one that I'd love to fix. I know I can't fix it. I really do know that I can't fix it. But that doesn't stop me from wanting to.

Missing Grandpa & Yia Yia certainly aren't new feelings for either of the girls. They have been managing these feelings for the past 7 months. They write them letters (on their own initiative) telling them this. I just hadn't prepared myself for it to be a big deal this weekend, and I should have. This is the first birthday that they have missed. It was no surprise to us that they weren't there; we didn't expect that they would be. It just isn't an option. But to the girls, they just don't understand any of it. They weren't expecting them to be there either, but I think it really sank in when everyone else was there and they weren't. They are still grappling with the bottom line fact that Grandpa & Yia Yia aren't here... period.

They tried to talk to the girls on the phone over the weekend and Abby flat out refused. She misses them and wants to SEE them; she doesn't want to talk on the phone to them. I hope this passes and she agrees to talk to them on the phone soon. She has been lobbying hard to go to Oregon. I wish we could, I really really wish we could. I would love to make this a reality for them, but I can't.

Then there is Spencer who is extremely confused, and doesn't know it. Everyone here manages his confusion pretty well. No one gets bent out of shape when he interchanges names and what not. But to witness his confusion really hits home that he just doesn't even know Grandpa & Yia Yia. He talks to them on the phone. He gets things in the mail. But he doesn't have anything physical to associate all that with... except his other grandparents. The upside I guess is that in his case it is just our sadness that we have to deal with and he isn't struggling like the girls are.

We have pictures of them with the kids on our digital photo frame. They see pictures of them! But that isn't cutting it for these young kids. I wish it were!

There were many tear filled conversations with them on Sunday. In those conversations there was something mentioned about them potentially coming back in November or December. Unfortunately, that is another 6 months away... almost as long as they have been gone thus far. We can't say anything to the kids about this. It is too far away with too many uncertainties. These timelines are too big for these young kids to understand.

For the time being, we'll continue to make sure they know how much they are loved by all. I just wish we could do more.

A saying that has hit home for me a few times in my life... It is always easier to be the one who leaves than to be the one who was left.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents (the 'favorite' grand parents) moved away in December. Avery (five years old) is particularly fond of my mom. She thinks the sun rises and sets on her, it's mutual between the two. Avery cries a lot "why did granny move away? I miss granny" etc... It's so sad and hard to deal with.

I don't have answers, obviously, but I can relate. :-(

6:35 PM, June 02, 2008  
Blogger Sonya said...

Cristin,
Awww... I'm sorry Avery is going through this too. Thanks for understanding!

Like Avery and your mom, there is a special connection between Abby, Ellie & Yia Yia. It is just hard to explain how important she is to them. Yia Yia is their world... and to see that all crashing around them is incredibly tough.

It is impossible to explain WHY they moved away... because honestly the why doesn't matter to the little ones.

8:17 AM, June 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so get that. Avery asks why, but there's no answer to give. What does cost of living mean to a five year old when her heart is broken? (what does it mean ever? lol). I try to say things like "We wouldn't be able to have sleep overs with granny if she didn't move away". She feels a little better after that, but not much. Luckily they only moved to NH (from long island) so we can drive there and have already visited twice, with another trip planned for two weeks. It's still really hard on her because my mom would pick her up from pre-k sometimes and take her to lunch and do special things. So sad.

Do you guys have any trips planned to see them? It has to be really tough to arrange visitations when you'd have to fly (SO EXPENSIVE!) or drive for a really long time with three kids.

Hopefully one day they won't really remember when their grandparents lived so close and the pain will dull.

7:54 PM, June 03, 2008  
Blogger Holly said...

Hey. a friend of ours has a webcam and uses Skype (sp?) for communicating cross-country with her grandkids. They love it and have video conversations every day.

Would that work?

8:18 PM, June 03, 2008  
Blogger Sonya said...

Thanks Cristin & Holly!

Holly... we actually have a webcam that we've had for a long time that we hooked up about a month ago or so. I think the grandparents need to get one (maybe a gift idea!?!?) and then figure out how to use it.

Cristin... I'm so glad you get to visit with some sort of frequency. I know it is quite the change from times before. But I'm glad she is within regular visiting distance. And yeah, kids don't understand "cost of living" stuff. There is just NOTHING that can replace those special times that they had.

The thing is... that wasn't (to our knowledge) even a factor in our situation. It was simply... they "wanted" to move to Oregon... period. And sadly, we don't have trips planned to see them. We've been trying to figure out ways to pull it off to no avail. It is way expensive (and not something we can swing) to fly out there and it would take 24 hours to drive... not including any stops. We aren't certain that we'd be able to stay with them once we got there. We've tossed around the idea (between Carie and I) to propose meeting them 1/2 way. Sadly we are feeling strapped more than ever at the moment in the $$ area... but who isn't? For us, we are expecting it to get tighter come August. Carie's mom mentioned that she was thinking about getting a PT job (she's still unemployed) to save some money so they can come back in Nov or Dec.

8:30 AM, June 04, 2008  
Blogger Shannon said...

That's so sad and must be really hard on everyone, especially the kids. Kids and grandparents have an incredible connection and I'm sure it's not an easy adjustment for your girls.

2:36 PM, June 04, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home