Wednesday, October 03, 2007

What A Day!

It all started out weird and continued to be a day full of surprises.

Carie took the girls' to the bus stop this morning. I'm hanging out at home with the other 3 kids and realizing that Carie hasn't returned from the bus stop well after she should have. I of course got quite curious. I was about to go look for her just as soon as she came in the door. Carie and the girls were "on time" per their usual time. Except the bus driver is now arriving later, after the posted pick up time because he was told he was arriving at school too early. This has been a big gripe of mine from the get go. It didn't seem right that the bus passed by our house a solid 8 minutes before he was even supposed to be at the bus stop. Now the question is... will this trend continue? When should they go to the bus stop... their old time, the posted time, or the new time? On nice days it doesn't matter all that much. On rainy or upcoming freezing days it certainly does. I wish the girls weren't so adamant about riding the bus!

The rest of the morning went fine. I then took the afternoon off to take the girls to their eye appointment. The eye appointment that never ended. It all turned out great, but it seemed to take forever. I'm sure it didn't help that they were doing 2 appointments at a time, but the girls' and I were way ready to go well before it was over.

But then near the end of the appointment Ellie starts acting off and proceeds to tell me that her ear hurts. The upside is that we happened to be just around the corner from the Peds office. The downside is that it was almost 4:00. So I quickly call the office on the off chance we could slide in yet today. Thankfully we got in!

Except there was now more waiting and we still weren't headed home, which is where we all wanted to be. Ellie was pretty miserable by this point and fell asleep on my shoulder as we were cuddling and waiting. Our Ped didn't have to look twice to see how miserable she was. She took one look in her ear and it was definitely infected.

They were wonderful and called a prescription in for us. On our way to get it we stopped to get a much needed snack. Boy did that help! Between the snack and the Motrin at the Peds office, she was definitely perking up. Then we waited a solid 20 minutes in the drive through at the pharmacy before we were finally on our way home.

We finally made it home 4 hours after I had left to get the girls from school. We arrived home to a wonderful dinner Mommy had made. She pulled out all the stops and made quite the kid friendly meal! Everyone was pleased! But quick, don't get comfy yet...

Then it was time to go get (or rescue, IMO) my brother from the airport. After checking his flight status we found that the flight was nearly 15 minute early. Since I hadn't been home all that long I knew Spencer wouldn't be happy staying home while I went to the airport, so we all hopped in the van and went. The kids loved going to the airport and it didn't take long before we were headed home.

Carie walks in the door to the phone ringing. Timing was bad, very very bad. We were just getting home and the kids were begging for a snack. It was most certainly bedtime! We should have let it go to voicemail, but didn't. It was her parents calling to give her the devastating news that they are moving... across country... in a matter of weeks. That wasn't on our radar and clearly should have been.

Time to pull it together and get the kids through the rest of their bedtime routine and tucked in. We didn't say anything to the kids tonight. They will most certainly be devastated. Grandpa and Yia Yia are the world to them!

I'm personally ready to call it a day!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

phew. what a day! I was exhausted reading about it!
Hope Ellie feels better soon.
Why are the grandparents moving? Across the country???

8:32 AM, October 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home