Thursday, March 08, 2007

Interpretive Art

Okay, so Abby's been to the Peds office twice now in two weeks. The first time she was alone, with me. The second time it was Abby, Ellie, and me.

Both times we get the crayons out of the drawer (in the office) and begin doodling on the large sheet of exam paper. Both times Abby draws something that any adult would construe as phallic. Clearly, without a doubt, phallic. Of course she doesn't know any better, seriously.

The first visit we were seeing our backup Ped as it was our primary Ped's day off. While of course we'd prefer to see our primary Ped, we are very happy with our backup Ped.

Anyways... on this first visit Abby drew two images that shocked me. I asked her what she was drawing. Unfortunately I don't recall her answer as I'm sure my own thoughts were clogging my head. Of course I was a bit mortified. I had convinced myself that of course the male Ped would see this and think phallic. And while I completely trust his medical advice and very much appreciate his approach to his patients, we don't have the level of relationship where we chat about non-medical stuff. I didn't know what he would think! We then, together, turned those two original pieces of art into larger, more complete, and less phallic pieces of art. One image transformed into a beautiful shoe! LOL

Life goes on.

Then yesterday we returned to the Peds office. This time we get to see our primary Ped. We go through the routine of visiting with the nurse and then waiting for the Ped. Again we pull out the crayons and again Abby draws another image that again any adult would construe as phallic. This time I leave it. I asked her what she was drawing and she really didn't know yet. It was work in progress. She continued to doodle and add to her project. Much to my surprise, the more she drew the more phallic it became.
I still left it alone. I chose to draw flowers and butterflies!

Maybe this is why we love our primary Ped so much. I felt totally okay leaving it alone and waiting for a good private/adult chuckle with her... and that we did.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

LOL, I'm just tyring to picture these drawings.

1:30 PM, March 09, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*lol* I would have *DIED*
aren't our kids just great for making us blush? Yesterday we were at the museum and Maggie told the "class" teacher that she wanted to sit by the Chinese kid because she likes Chinese. I wanted to crawl under the sidewalk. lol.
rae

8:49 AM, March 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home