Thursday, March 01, 2007

The Blizzard Of 2007

Clearly last weekends storms were not the last hurrah! Some higher power must have taken note to me sticking my tongue out at the most recent pathetical attempt to snow us in.

We are officially snowed in, which does not happen often. It was supposed to start snowing around 3am and winds are blowing 45-50 miles/hour with visibility a 1/4 mile. We, as in our neighborhood, are on the very edge of the band of heavy weather. The same edge we were supposed to be on last weekend.
Definitely in like a lion! Hopefully out like a lamb.

Sure we get snow often, but life always goes on as normal. Not today. We expected it to go on as normal when we got going this morning. I made the first pass on our driveway and I'm glad I did. It was still snowing and blowing, but the snow easily covered the top of the snow blower. I then got ready for work and headed out. The plows hadn't yet made it through our neighborhood, but I had planned a route that would give me the best odds of getting out without getting stuck. I made it!

But then, then I come upon this fire truck that is stuck... on the wrong side of the road. Yes, in my lane and actually covering most of the 2 lane road. Of course with the visibility I didn't see it until I was right upon it, even though it is humongous and yellow. And of course I was going down a hill, a slick hill, a hill with undesirable ditches on either side. I popped the van in neutral and my brakes were working some OT. I wasn't sure that I was going to regain control in time, but thankfully I did.

I then decide to call Carie to ask her to check my work e-mail for me. Something I probably should have done before even venturing out. Turns out, boss was working from home and another higher up had posted a notice that everyone was to go home at noon. By now I'm a bit further up the road and see more ditched vehicles. Forget it, I'm turning around and going home. But now I've got to figure out a return route as there are vehicles, which appear to be going nowhere, everywhere. I then come upon another pile of cars on the other side of the road. Clearly they should have been going west, but it was hard to tell. It looked like Spencer dumped out a bucket of cars, only they were all right side up. I stop to fill up the gas can (for the snow blower), topped off the van, and got us adults some yummy caffeine, then headed home. Carie and I came up with the most optimal return route given that I didn't want to go up the road with the fire truck. Again, more stuck vehicles. I couldn't believe the big trucks, semis, delivery trucks, etc... just sitting in the middle of the road.


I'm happy to be home and we aren't going anywhere for a good long time. Not at least until the plows have had a chance to get ahead, which probably won't happen until this wind stops. I doubt we will have swim lessons tonight. Oh, and the satellite is out. I love DVR!

It is definitely an inside day today. It is so bad outside that there would be no fun in playing in the snow. Though, I suspect that the snow will be around long enough to play in once the blizzard conditions end.

We turned our big chair around so the girls could have a special comfy place to veg out. They sure did get comfy!









Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Gandksmom said...

I am so glad you made it home safely! As a veteran of these kinds of white knuckle driving, it's downright scary! I love the pictures! We got ice, not snow. I was skating around the driveway this morning.

2:55 PM, March 02, 2007  
Blogger Casey said...

Oh I am so sorry about you being snowed in but I hope you all had a special day together.

11:26 PM, March 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home