Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Sugar - The Good & The Not So Good

I am amazed at the interest level and the discussions we've had recently on what sugar is, where it is found, whether it is natural sugars or the not so good sugars, etc...

It all stemmed from a recent special trip to the store to get a snack after swimming lessons. Sure, we could have gone home to get a snack. But for some reason this was a special outing that gave them an opportunity to choose from a larger selection of items. Though, there were some limitations. After all, it was nearly bedtime and something loaded with sugar was not an option. They have enough troubles going to sleep without adding a sugar high! I reminded them that we were choosing "snacks", not "treats". They know exactly what that means and they were completely okay with it. That line between “snack” and “treat” has also been pretty blurry lately and we are making an effort to reinforce those boundaries.

I had been talking on the phone with Carie to fill her in on our plans. I believe I made a comment about going to the grocery store rather than a convenience store so there would be some better choices available. Then somehow we (the girls and I) started talking about sugar, the sugars that appear naturally vs. the other sugars. They totally latched onto, and encouraged this discussion. I'm amazed by their continued interest level, their curiosity, and all of the questions.

Now they continue to ask questions about everything they choose or we serve. Return trips to the grocery store spark a flurry of questions. We'll ask them what they think, and most of the time they are right on.

Prior to this discussion they’ve had a heightened interest in where things grow or how they are made. Everything from the beginning ingredients to the packaging!

Fascinating, for sure!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Wow - it's great that they have such a good handle on it already.

9:46 PM, February 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home