Monday, February 12, 2007

The Crib Crossroads

The boy has taken to climbing out of his crib. It was O dark 30 when we heard someone come into our room. I thought it was Ellie. We were quite surprised to roll over and find Spencer standing there, at eye level.

The current discussion... what to do? Do we pull out our crib tent or do we make the transition to toddler bed? I keep thinking of that commercial, the one with the "easy" button.

The crib tents worked so well for the girls. They were truly a gift from God! I'm reminded that the girls were about this age when we acquired and installed them. If he was at all like the girls in the sleep department I don't think we'd be having this discussion. The crib tent would have been assembled within minutes of finding that he escaped.

Or, do we transition to toddler bed? His crib, the same one that the girls slept in, transitions to a toddler bed. We haven't talked about buying a "big boy" bed because we knew we had this option. We moved the girls to big (twin) beds in their transition because 1) we had heard that a single transition was better for twins than the gradual transition of toddler bed to twin bed and 2) well Spencer was on his way and we wanted to use one of the cribs for him. We most definitely did not want to buy another crib, we already owned two. I'd hate to think how much worse the transition would have gone if we went to toddler bed and then twin bed for the girls. I cannot do that again!

He just seems so young, so immature to make the transition, a successful transition. We oh so need a successful transition! I do understand that a transition of this nature wouldn't necessarily be seamless, but if we could avoid upheaval of the entire routine and excellent sleeping patterns, that would be ideal.

Yet he seems so much older than my memory of the girls at this same age, especially in the sleep department.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

It is a hard thing to determine the readiness factor for. I wish you luck with whatever you decide.

4:55 PM, February 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home