Friday, January 12, 2007

Swimming Lessons - Round 3

The girls started swimming lessons again, and they are thrilled! Who wouldn't be? Swimming in the middle of winter when outdoor temps are in the single digits, what a treat. They really seem to be settling into this environment and loving the experience.

They have graduated (two times actually) from the "preschool" class and are now in Level 1 where they get to swim for 45 minutes during each lesson. So, our Tuesday and Thursday evenings are occupied with swimming lessons until the middle of March.

There are 3 girls and 5 boys in the current 4 week session. A large portion of the pool area is surrounded by a glass wall that overlooks the pool where the parents/visitors are able to watch the entire lesson. Watching the differences between boys and girls, and hearing other parents comment on it, amazes me! Maybe I'm more aware of those differences now that I'm a parent to both genders?

The parents of the boys are always saying... "those girls pay attention so well, they are so well behaved", "put the girls in between those boys", "separate those boys", and then through osmosis the teacher (a young boy himself) catches on and does so and the parents cheer in delight. Then before long they've all bopped out of place and the girls have migrated together and the boys have migrated together. In all honesty, I think the boys do great and the parents are seeing a glimpse of the girls (our girls) at their best… and we all know we aren’t at our best at all times. They, the boys, just need a little more frequent redirection. The scary thing is that I watch some of those boys and I can easily see Spencer!


As a bonus, Spencer is attending a "Stretch and Grow" class that is offered at the center. Enrolling the girls in classes at a younger age wasn't on our agenda, but it seems like a perfect fit for Spencer. A once a week 30 minute activity, during the girls’ 45 minute swim lesson, and in a space that has fun equipment OR running around stealing everyone's balls (basketballs, volleyballs, ping pong balls, foosballs, and pool table balls). He is perfectly content chasing everyone else's equipment, regardless of what he has, it is the Moms that are worn out and need a change of pace.

Have I mentioned before that this boy is on the go all the time?

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Add me to that list as well. I know that for me, there is such a HUGE out of control energy level between my little ones. Gender differences? Not sure but I would definitely lean that way.

7:22 PM, January 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home