Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Boy - Month 22














Spencer Rylan,

I started working on this summary a week ago. I was even thinking I'd have it wrapped up and posted before your 22nd month birthday. However in that weeks time so much has changed about you that I pretty much had to scratch that and start over.

A week ago my highlight was the week of horrible sleep and resulting moods, for everyone involved. I would have talked about your nightly screaming episodes, the ones that lasted a solid 30-40 minutes night after night. The screaming and thrashing that may have been night terrors, but didn't seem quite like night terrors. You would get so angry that your body would become incredibly tense and your face bright red as you screamed. If you asked for a paci, we'd give you one and you'd hurl it across the room. The screaming episodes that only agonizing time and
Dora's choo choo episode could bring you out of. The screaming and thrashing that finally made me cry right along with you. That Friday night we had decided that we'd take you to the Ped the next morning. It would have been our first Ped visit of the season. We were going to be on the phone as soon as the office opened at 9am. We were prepared for the Ped to tell us that there was nothing wrong. But the screaming, the thrashing, and the way your body appeared in pain we didn't know what else to do. But then you woke an entirely new boy Saturday morning.

Though with this new boy appears to be a new set of rules that we are required to identify and abide by. Suddenly you seem to have strong feelings as to how your food is opened or cut. Breadsticks, for instance should not be broken in half. Bananas shall be opened a certain way and it better stay whole. Don't dare cut that banana bread or biscuit, even if you are asking for jelly.

Your language has exploded again and you are regularly repeating everything we say. I find that getting you to say "delicious" is kind of fun! You are also putting more and more words together to communicate with us.

Your manners continue to amaze us. You frequently use the word please, thank you, and sorry. You use the term thank you most properly out of the three. That really does melt my heart. When you say please, what you really seem to say is "give it to me now or I'll throw a tantrum". If someone has something you want you reach out your hand and say "please". If the other child does not comply you chase them around yelling "please" until they cannot take it anymore. The use of "sorry" continues to be a bit excessive and used at times where I'd like you to know that you do not need to be sorry. Where you picked up on this whole sorry bit is beyond me. The most recent addition is "excuse me". It seems that we've got an early start on the bodily noises and the little boy humor that goes along with that. The attention you get from the other kids encourages this behavior. You, and thankfully we, find it slightly humorous that you walk around pretending to burp followed by an "excuse me", ad infinitum.

The tantrums and dramatics have hit an all new level. Amazing how you turn it off when the audience isn't there or when you've gotten exactly what you want. You are hilarious when you cover your face with both hands like the world is ending, yet we can see you peaking through your fingers.

The throwing, oh my goodness the throwing. Totally in correlation to the above point. While we are working on ways to channel our frustration, I'll honestly take throwing over biting - any day! Bottom line though, it is not acceptable to throw food, plates, utensils, cups, etc...

We thought we'd see how you respond to "time outs" as a consequence to the throwing. Amazingly enough, you will sit perfectly still on the time out step and you aren't even in a 5pt harness! You are a boy who doesn't sit still for anything! You actively listen to everything we have to say. You will say okay and give us a hug in the end. Though, while I didn't necessarily expect you to just "get it", it seems like you are getting it all to well - and not in a way that we would like you to "get it". You've clearly been watching a couple of the bigger kids who still don't "get it" for far too long!

There was a period of time where you would use the table (instead of the tray) at mealtimes. Essentially a booster only you were still sitting in the actual high chair. That went over well until one day it seemed to make sense to try the tray again. You seemed cool with it and either way you are sitting at the table with us. The tray seemed helpful in identifying your space. We need you to have your own space at mealtimes! But now we've discovered that you have discovered how to remove the tray all on your own. See, if you put your foot just right on the lever that is on the bottom of the tray, you can release the lever and between your foot and your hands you can push the tray off! You think you are pretty funny to be able to do this. I have to admit, I thought it was pretty funny. Hmmm... Ellie could get out of the 5pt harness and you can remove the tray... a tray that has been used/washed day in and day out for four solid years and is thusly worn, warped, and difficult to get on and off. I think our children need to be the test subjects for high chair manufacturers!

But now, now you see no reason to sit in the highchair - tray or no tray. You are a big kid now and must sit in a grown up chair like all of the other big kids. We are still experimenting with this one. You like it; Mommy and Momma are the one's who aren't so sure. Hopefully soon you will realize that you are hungry and therefore you must sit and stay sitting to eat.

You still love knock knock jokes. Only now you are experimenting with your voice as you say your knock knock joke. You'll start out loudly with a "knock knock". We'll participate with a "who's there?” Then you will repeatedly get quieter each time until you become a mime with extreme facial movements. We'll follow your lead with our responses and in the end you shout your punch line.

Recently you've seen some previews to the The Upside Down Show, and previews are all you need. You love to play pretend remote. The dramatic movements and accompanying sound effects are rather entertaining.

You also love to play hide and seek. Grandpa and Yia Yia played hide and seek with you and your sisters when they stayed with you recently and it has left a lasting impression. Periodically you will cover your eyes and count, with the little counting you can do. I guess that is our cue to hide! You also love to shout "SURPRISE". And while I know that closets are a great place to hid, I'd prefer that destructo boy stay out of the closets. They are in sad enough shape; I don't really need your added touch.

Books and reading continue to be an important part of your life. I love that you have such a great love for books. I love that you ask us to read to you. I love how you participate with us when we are reading. I love that that is one time where we can count on you sitting and cuddling with us. I love that you cuddle and rock with one of us after the books go night night.

You are emphatically a Momma's boy at the moment. I love to hear the excitement in your voice when you shout "MOMMA". I think it is funny how you fluctuate between Mommy and Carie depending on your mood and what you want. Mostly I love how you say "Carie" so innocently.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

This is such a sweet summary of Spencer's life at 22 months - great picture too. I love the "knock, knock" joke story in particular.

4:37 PM, February 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home