Saturday, March 31, 2007

The Boy - Month 23

Spencer Rylan,

You amaze us! We love you!

I am so glad that I write these updates for you. I'm also so glad that I wrote updates for your sisters! You all have your strong foundations, from which you grow, but these seemingly gradual changes are the one's I don't want to forget yet I know they are the first to be forgotten.

In this photo you were eating your first popsicle of the season and sharing knock knock jokes with us. Oh, and yeah you need a haircut! The spring days have been incredible
and you've greatly enjoyed playing outside, specifically "out front". You love all the activity of being outside and you love to ride your bike. You are really getting good at pedaling and it won't be long before you can pedal and steer on your own.

I love your inflection when it is clear that you “get” what we are saying. You'll repeat our words in a very high pitched tone, like… oh yeah.

You continue to need to be one of the big kids. When we ask if anyone would like to do, get, or have something you’ll think for a second… “ummm”… then raise your hand high up in the air and shout “ME” with a huge goofy grin. There's no doubt in your mind that you are almost 2 going on almost 5.

Everything is “I do it” or “I get it”… sometimes cute, other times not so cute.

Communication has gone to a new level for you. It is clearly imperative that we accurately understand everything that you say. There can be no “uh huh” or “oh yeah” or anything resembling a misunderstanding. If our response is not accurate enough you continue repeating it until we get it. If we still don't get it, you don't hesitate telling us to stand up and direct us to go this way or that way so you can show us what you want.

It seems that monthly, consistently, you've been going through a development spurt. It seems to happen about the same time each month. We know that something big is going in inside you and we'll know what it is soon enough. You become restless in your sleep and you look for more cuddles with us. Oh yeah, lets not forget the whining! You become more difficult to understand and words or phrases that we've understood for some time often become less clear. Then you come out of the phase with an explosion of new skills and abilities. This month you went from single words and simple 2-3 word phrases to talking in sentences. Unfortunately the whole sentence isn't yet understandable, but the above rule still applies. You need us to understand you! To you, it is perfectly clear. To us, it will soon be. I hope!


I love how you say “please” when you want a turn with something. I love how you ask to take a turn. I love how you say thank you all on your own… and if the person doesn’t respond you’ll continue until you know they heard you. My one wish would be that people take the time to hear what you have to say and respond to you without you having to work to get their attention. The whole need to create a scenario to be able to use the phrase "excuse me" has died down tremendously. But every once and a while it pops up and it makes me laugh.

You still seem to have that internal clock. I most notice it at dinnertime. Oftentimes we try and eat near 6pm, and 6:30 appears to be your limit. If we are still working on dinner come 6:30, you don't hesitate to climb into your seat, buckle yourself in, and start eating what is available. We could tell what time it is without looking at a clock! I love how you sit at the table and ask to be excused when you are done. I'm rather impressed with your ability to sit at the table. All highchairs are officially out of the house for the first time in over 4 years. When you are done though, you are done. For you, meal time is meal time. You sit and get down to business. When you are full, you are done and ready to move on. If we are out and about, we can usually get a few more minutes of sitting out of you with knock knock jokes or the hand game. Often the knock knock jokes give us enough time to get your sisters to finish their meals. If not, we go for a walk!

I love how you walk down the street… Mr. Social… you don’t hesitate to say “HI” to anyone. But again, if they don’t respond you’ll follow them until they do. We've been enjoying the nice spring weather, as have many folks in the neighborhood. We'll see many people walk by our house and you take notice, especially if they are walking their dog(s) or carrying a ball. You want to pet and love all the dogs that come by. The other night you were ready to follow a boy down the street because he was carrying a football. You just wanted him to play catch with you!

You love all things “BBall”… basketball morning, day, and night. Everything is “hoops” or “shoot hoops” or “bball”. You are pretty good at it too! Rumor has it that Grandpa shot hoops with you recently and you made nearly all your shots and Grandpa missed nearly all his shots. I'm also told that he was at a bad angle.

When we are outside you want to visit all of the houses that have basketball hoops. You walk up and down the street wanting to shoot hoops! Unfortunately all those hoops are "too tall", and I think that is finally sinking in. But these experiences and your love for basketball has driven us to get you yet another basketball hoop for your 2nd birthday. This one is supposed to look like the real deal and is supposed to be the perfect height for you. Good thing you can't read yet!

This spring has proven to be better than last fall in terms of honoring that street boundary. Though, if the neighbor boy is out shooting hoops all bets are off. You've also taken a liking to his really expensive remote controlled car. If he's out playing with that, the street boundary also becomes invisible. Thankfully that neighbor boy is a wonderful young boy and an excellent role model!

You've also discovered baseball and there is no big surprise that you love it. We couldn't believe our eyes when you picked up the ball, placed it on the home-made T, picked up the bat, held the bat properly, swung and hit the ball. We don't yet own any t-ball equipment. Though that will be resolved soon since I happen to know you are also getting this for your 2nd birthday. You've held a bat in your hands once in your lifetime, you were only 13 months old and Uncle Chris was helping you swing at a piñata at Abby & Ellie's birthday party. We've never shown you how to hold a bat let alone holding it properly. But the other night, you picked up the ball, the bat, and used them like you knew exactly what you were doing.

You blow us away little man, you blow us away.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home