Creating Christmas Traditions
Christmas Day was a wonderful day for our family. In all the hecticness of the season, we are really starting to create our own Christmas traditions. Traditions that I do hope evolve as our family grows, but traditions that we can look forward to each and every year. Traditions that focus on relaxation and family time.
For now I love that we take an easy and relaxed start to the morning. This year we had grandiose ideas to have a really nice breakfast. A breakfast that we could prep before hand and just put the finishing touches on that morning. Well, that didn't happen... the grandiose part. When it came down to it, we peeled open the can of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, the girls' placed them neatly in a baking dish, and we popped them into the oven. I saw these in the store and immediately thought... that is about all the effort we are up for and tossed them into the cart. I've not had them before, or at least not since my childhood. They don't even come close to our homemade cinnamon rolls in terms of taste, but it was perfect none the less.
While the cinnamon rolls were baking we all dug into our stockings that Santa had filled overnight. Each and every stocking gift is wrapped and I have to say it is so much fun to unwrap all the little stocking items even though I grumble as we (I mean Santa) wrap each and every little item.
This year we had the opportunity to go to Church on Christmas Day. Since this was a special treat this year, ideally I'd love to work a Christmas Eve service into our routine. Before kids, it was easy. We loved going to the 11:00 pm service on Christmas Eve. Somehow that just didn't seem like a great idea with the kids this year. Sometime soon I see our girls' becoming involved in Church programs and they currently perform their Christmas program at an earlier service on Christmas Eve. At the moment we have other family Christmas traditions on Christmas Eve, so I don't yet know how all this will evolve. It might mean change... gasp.
After Church we went to lunch at a local Chinese restaurant. Traditionally I see this becoming our dinner tradition. We all enjoy it and we don't have to cook or clean. The other meal, likely lunch, will be a simple meal... no full spread for us. Maybe as our family grows this will change, but for the 5 of us we'll keep it super simple and keep us out of the kitchen.
The afternoon is filled with relaxing and playing with the kids.
For now I love that we take an easy and relaxed start to the morning. This year we had grandiose ideas to have a really nice breakfast. A breakfast that we could prep before hand and just put the finishing touches on that morning. Well, that didn't happen... the grandiose part. When it came down to it, we peeled open the can of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls, the girls' placed them neatly in a baking dish, and we popped them into the oven. I saw these in the store and immediately thought... that is about all the effort we are up for and tossed them into the cart. I've not had them before, or at least not since my childhood. They don't even come close to our homemade cinnamon rolls in terms of taste, but it was perfect none the less.
While the cinnamon rolls were baking we all dug into our stockings that Santa had filled overnight. Each and every stocking gift is wrapped and I have to say it is so much fun to unwrap all the little stocking items even though I grumble as we (I mean Santa) wrap each and every little item.
This year we had the opportunity to go to Church on Christmas Day. Since this was a special treat this year, ideally I'd love to work a Christmas Eve service into our routine. Before kids, it was easy. We loved going to the 11:00 pm service on Christmas Eve. Somehow that just didn't seem like a great idea with the kids this year. Sometime soon I see our girls' becoming involved in Church programs and they currently perform their Christmas program at an earlier service on Christmas Eve. At the moment we have other family Christmas traditions on Christmas Eve, so I don't yet know how all this will evolve. It might mean change... gasp.
After Church we went to lunch at a local Chinese restaurant. Traditionally I see this becoming our dinner tradition. We all enjoy it and we don't have to cook or clean. The other meal, likely lunch, will be a simple meal... no full spread for us. Maybe as our family grows this will change, but for the 5 of us we'll keep it super simple and keep us out of the kitchen.
The afternoon is filled with relaxing and playing with the kids.



1 Comments:
did you really just say "as our family grows..."
holy moly. i can't even handle my one terror at Best Buy. I just marched her out by her ear. God Bless you. *grin*
rae
Post a Comment
<< Home