Friday, December 23, 2005

Nearly There

After our 3rd installment of Ped appointments this week, I think we finally have a handle on things. But shhhh... don't say that to loud because I don't want it to come back and bite me you know where.

Our backup Ped, Dr C., looked at Spencer's ears this morning and declared them... better! He still has fluid in them, which is normal in this situation. Ideally after a bit more time the fluid would resolve. He believed the fluid looked pretty sterile. The question then is... how sterile? Are we certain that we are over this round of ear infection h*ll? We talked over how things looked along with the history of this particular ear infection... the month long double ear infection that 3 powerful antibiotics didn't touch. The ear infection that took 2 Rocephrin shots for the Dr to be able to say... it looks better.

So with all we do know, we collectively decided that a 3rd and final shot would be in order. Normally I don't like to be this aggressive with treatment, but we are so done with this. If we didn't continue treatment, our luck would be that he's one to fall in the 10% category of kids who weren't recovered after the 2nd shot. Going into the Holiday weekend, we really didn't want to be 2nd guessing ourselves one bit. And, well, I'd love it if we didn't have to step foot in that office again until January 4th... where they will be re-checked for progress and hopefully be declared infection free. But I won't get my hopes up for that, just yet.

In the meantime, we'll be scheduling an ENT appointment!

Oh... and on Wednesday Ellie was re-diagnosed with an ear infection. The Zithromax didn't seem to do a darn bit of good for her either. So now we've circled back to Omnicef, which she hasn't had in a while. Her mood has greatly improved, so we are hopeful.

Then there's Abby. To our knowledge she is still infection free. We'll just go with that thought. But, yesterday afternoon one of her tubes fell out. She felt something in her left ear, so Carie looked. It was sitting right on the edge of her so Carie removed it. Unfortunately, I don't know the status of her right ear. I know that one tube was out of position, but I thought it was still in. I also knew that the other tube was in position. So it stands to reason that her right ear has the tube in position. But then Carie's mental notes were quite a bit different then mine so now we don't really know. Guess we'll also figure this out on January 4th... and hopefully no sooner. I hope the other tube has or will fall out on it's own. I really don't like the idea of having it surgically removed.

Merry Christmas to my fellow Christians!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home