Our Photographer's
The girls' love to take pictures... and they both are pretty good at it. Though Ellie is our budding photographer.
We allow the girls' to use our camera, much to some other adult's dismay. We know we are risking it, and we would be totally bummed if the camera ended up damaged. I'm not even sure that we could replace it right now, if it did ended up broken. But so far it has worked. We ask that they use the strap to help prevent dropping it. We ask that they not touch the lens... and we tell them why. We remind them of a few safety things each time we get them setup. With life in general, more often than not they don't listen to our directions. But in this instance, they seem to. I think that shows us what it means to them to be able to do this.
They take the camera and go through the entire house taking pictures of various things. Tons of still photography but then they also have fun getting the dogs to pose for them or they pose for each other. Listening to them as they scavenger through the house is always fun.
It is always quite a riot to look at the pics that they have taken. We download them right along with all of our pictures. When we go back to look at the pics we often stumble upon a block of pics that are definitely one's that they have taken. Many of them we keep, some we don't.
Here's one of the many keepers.
In this particular picture, Abby is posing for Ellie. You'll also notice that Abby is pretending to sleep, accompanied with pretend snoring. Pretty darn good picture for a 3 1/2 year old, I think. Abby takes good pictures too, but Ellie is really good at framing and capturing the picture. Better than some adults I know.
We've talked about getting the girls' their own cameras for Christmas. They would love it! There are many kid’s styles out there but they all seem to have some downfalls. It must be digital. I don't pay to process my own film; I'm not going to pay to process theirs. It must have a rechargeable battery; I'm not going to replace batteries daily. It must be able to hold more than a dozen pictures... and removable media would be nice. Otherwise, what's the point?
So, it looks like we will continue to share our camera and the girls' will get something different for Christmas this year. Maybe someday we, the adults, can get a new one and this can become theirs??? I like that idea!!!
We allow the girls' to use our camera, much to some other adult's dismay. We know we are risking it, and we would be totally bummed if the camera ended up damaged. I'm not even sure that we could replace it right now, if it did ended up broken. But so far it has worked. We ask that they use the strap to help prevent dropping it. We ask that they not touch the lens... and we tell them why. We remind them of a few safety things each time we get them setup. With life in general, more often than not they don't listen to our directions. But in this instance, they seem to. I think that shows us what it means to them to be able to do this.
They take the camera and go through the entire house taking pictures of various things. Tons of still photography but then they also have fun getting the dogs to pose for them or they pose for each other. Listening to them as they scavenger through the house is always fun.
It is always quite a riot to look at the pics that they have taken. We download them right along with all of our pictures. When we go back to look at the pics we often stumble upon a block of pics that are definitely one's that they have taken. Many of them we keep, some we don't.
Here's one of the many keepers.
In this particular picture, Abby is posing for Ellie. You'll also notice that Abby is pretending to sleep, accompanied with pretend snoring. Pretty darn good picture for a 3 1/2 year old, I think. Abby takes good pictures too, but Ellie is really good at framing and capturing the picture. Better than some adults I know. We've talked about getting the girls' their own cameras for Christmas. They would love it! There are many kid’s styles out there but they all seem to have some downfalls. It must be digital. I don't pay to process my own film; I'm not going to pay to process theirs. It must have a rechargeable battery; I'm not going to replace batteries daily. It must be able to hold more than a dozen pictures... and removable media would be nice. Otherwise, what's the point?
So, it looks like we will continue to share our camera and the girls' will get something different for Christmas this year. Maybe someday we, the adults, can get a new one and this can become theirs??? I like that idea!!!



2 Comments:
Sonya,
I let Kelton have free reign with our digital camera - I adore seeing the world through his eyes and I have to say, he has gotten some pretty amazing pictures! Sure - there are also pictures of the floor, his nose, the dogs ear, a ball, a chair, etc but he's having a great time AND learning how to take great photos!
I do that too. Rather, I go to download pictures and find the little surprises Brendan leaves me on my camera. As long as he doesn't drop it, I don't have a problem. Isn't it wonderful to see the world through their eyes?
Post a Comment
<< Home