Friday, October 21, 2005

All I Want For...

Christmast is my 2 Front Teeth. Okay okay, so it is a bit early for Christmas and I do already have my 2 front teeth. What I am really thinking is that "All I Want For My Birthday is a Good Night's Sleep."

Remember... we have two 3 year olds and an almost 6 month old. Odds were decent that the 3 year olds could pull it off, not guaranteed but decent. The 6 month old, well it was a given he'd wake... but just how many times??? And I said "good" night's sleep... not expecting it to be all night from the time I fell asleep until the time I woke.

Okay, so Ellie fell asleep rather quickly last night... yay! Abby had a really hard time falling asleep and Spencer had a rough time settling and staying asleep. Not lookin' good. Finally though we do achieve 3 sleeping kids... yay!!

Spencer woke at some point, I'm so tired that I couldn't even begin to tell you what time he woke up. Though, in general, I could tell you it was earlier in the night rather than later. Carie got up with him, which was really nice. Now, when I said I'd like a good night's sleep I didn't really mean for her to not get a good nights sleep. What I was really going for was for the kiddo's to surprise us... because I know it can be done.


But, alas, it wasn't in the cards last night. Carie is awesome with nighttime duty, far better than I am. So I know that if I am tired, she has to be doubly tired… and sweetie if you are reading this, it is showing. Please take care of yourself too! She hears every little peep, it seems. So, she’s awesome in the middle of the night, but if he only gets up once or twice I need to nurse him otherwise I'm facing other issues... rock solid leaking boobs. But last night she took care of all of his needs for the first round... THANK YOU!

So, whatever time it was, she fed him, got him back to sleep, and returned to bed herself... all without me even really knowing. Then later he woke again and by this time "I" really needed to take care of his needs, or was it my needs, well both of our needs. He was pretty pleased about that. But also at the same time Abby is awake and really struggling with sleep. I'm sorry Abby it is genetic. So, I took Spencer and Carie went back to Abby. I do remember Carie saying, "leave room for me", and no she wasn't kidding. So she returns to find the boy sprawled out taking up her entire side of the bed. Thankfully he had just finished nursing and was ready to go back to his bed. I also remember Carie saying, "he sleeps just like you!”

Fast-forward a period of time (again, I still have no idea what time it is). Ellie is getting out of bed and on her way down stairs... only 6 stairs. I hear her and she's a bit upset at something. She's saying, "my water is making me sick". Basically she's holding her cup of water and would much rather have a cup of milk. A cup of milk is a huge comfort item to them. But, the "sick" part has me concerned. I check her out and find out that she hasn't been "sick", yet. So I convince her to climb into bed with me and we snuggle and fall back asleep… and we are able to skip the milk.

Fast forward a period of time, though this time I know it is now 6:30. For some folks that is late in the morning and they'd be up and going by then. For us, not so. For our household, 6:30 am is still freaking early... it is still nighty night time :). But I only wake to notice the time because I had just been puked on. My free arm swings over to wake Carie and I say "puking child, need help NOW". She comes to our rescue. Thankfully the puking episode was minor, compared to what we know it could be. We get cleaned up and Ellie decides she is ready to return to her bed. On the way it is clear that she is about to have another puking episode and they make it to the bathroom AND to the porcelain goddess. Wow, my baby is growing up. For anyone who has a child that notoriously pukes when they are ill, you know that this transition is huge. As odd as it may sound, it felt like a huge moment to see her standing there puking into the toilet. I felt SO bad for her and Mommy was right there to comfort and cuddle her... but when she had to let it go she made it back to the toilet. Way to go Ellie! But sigh, she's growing up.

After all this, she ends up going back to her bed to rest some more. We were hoping to catch a few more z's ourselves. It is now 7:30 and Mr. Spencer is awake and sounding chipper. The chipper part is nice, but 7:30 is way to early for him... imagine what the rest of the day may turn out to be. Imagine your child waking a full 1-2 hours earlier than normal. So an attempt was made to get him to go back to sleep, it was a no go. He came and joined us in bed, he was pleased as punch.

Mommy & Spencer then gave me my birthday presents. I absolutely wasn't expecting "gifts"... though Carie always takes care of me and makes my day extra special. I felt bad for opening them before the girls' woke up, but with the night they had we weren't about to wake them AND I had a meeting that I had to get to so I couldn't hang around waiting for them to wake up. It's kinda our tradition to open gifts first thing in the morning before we get going, and it is a tradition that I love. We do this with each other and we do it for the girls’.


The absolute best part of opening gifts this particular morning was the look on Spencer's face. He saw the packages and his eyes grew really big and excited and he let out a squeal. He went after that paper like he knew exactly what he was supposed to do. All he wanted was the paper; the boy is obsessed with paper and all things that he (thinks he) can put in his mouth. So, he got the paper and I got the boxes. Great compromise, I think.

As I'm getting ready for work, it is discovered that the load of clothes never made it to the dryer and by this time I can't wait for them to dry. Carie did find me some pants to wear, but it happened to be the pair with no button and a questionable zipper. Why I keep them, I don’t know. I guess for days like this. Oh well, gotta have something on to walk out the door! Then I'm trying to find something to throw together for lunch. Fortunately, or unfortunately in this case, we've done really well with keeping up on the leftovers that there were no leftovers to be found. Carie encouraged me to go out for a b-day lunch with some co-workers.

The girls' did wake up before I went to work and quickly crashed on our bed watching "farmer Jed". They wished me a happy birthday before I left for work, but I could tell that they weren't feeling so hot. I hope Abby is "just" tired and isn't going to get whatever Ellie has. I hope Ellie's virus is short lived. I hope Mr. Spencer doesn't get it at all. But I also suspect that I'm fooling myself thinking that that is a possibility. Ellie has already taken a 2hr nap today, very unlike her, and her temp is spiking. I can see that it may be a long night.

What a morning! On the upside, after returning from an awesome lunch with some co-worker friends, I return to a beautiful arrangement of flowers from Carie and the kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home