The Great Candy Purge
Carie is the one who followed through on this one!
We've been talking and talking about ridding our home of the mounds of candy that seemed to be stashed in every nook and cranny. We aren't big candy connoisseurs yet it felt like we had hit the jackpot. All those holiday's and birthday parties that seem to come with candy and sweets attached are a huge source for this accumulation. In reality, I believe we have this mountain of candy because we aren't big candy connoisseurs and it has just kept accumulating.
Except, there is Spencer. He would gladly indulge himself in every last piece if we were to let him. When it comes to candy, he has no self control. Part of it is age, I'm sure. Part of it is just his natural interest in all things junk food. This is not something we experienced with either of the girls’, at least not to this degree.
So Sunday afternoon Carie just did it.
The boy was napping. I was outside with the girls putzing around. It was above freezing, if only barely. The girls were collecting and disposing of "litter". It was their own little idea and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them work together to clean up our yard and neighboring yards. I was raking and sweeping up the mounds of sand and gravel left on our yard and curb from the snow plows. Ya ya, it is likely going to snow again. Oh well.
Then suddenly Carie appears with this enormous bag. From a distance I could see its bulging sides. The way Carie was carrying the bag, it was clearly heavy. She tells me, in some sort of parental code, that this is it. This is all the candy that she could find. Wow! No way! We had that much candy in our home!?!?!? How in the heck did that happen? How embarrassing!
Now, what to do with it? Why can't throwing it away be an option? It would have been so physically easy just to open the trash can and drop the bag in. Why do we have such a hard time doing that? Why can't that be the option?
Instead it went into my car and got hauled to work. Now I'm still left with "what to do with it?" Thankfully I think I have an idea.
Later that evening we were getting ready for dinner. Spencer hadn't exactly noticed the missing candy. It isn't like he had an inventory or anything; he just had this uncanny knack for finding candy wherever it was stashed. His own personal candy radar! So what does he do? He opens the freezer and asks for the M's that he found. M's that have been in the freezer for months, at minimum. One bag being an "autumn mix". Who knows, they may not even be from this past fall! LOL
How does he do it? It isn't like he opened up all the cupboards searching for candy. He simply opened the freezer and found what was (hopefully) the last candy in the house. He was denied, of course. Most often his requests for candy are denied but I'm always amazed at how often he asks for it.
I'm amazed at how great his candy radar is!
We've been talking and talking about ridding our home of the mounds of candy that seemed to be stashed in every nook and cranny. We aren't big candy connoisseurs yet it felt like we had hit the jackpot. All those holiday's and birthday parties that seem to come with candy and sweets attached are a huge source for this accumulation. In reality, I believe we have this mountain of candy because we aren't big candy connoisseurs and it has just kept accumulating.
Except, there is Spencer. He would gladly indulge himself in every last piece if we were to let him. When it comes to candy, he has no self control. Part of it is age, I'm sure. Part of it is just his natural interest in all things junk food. This is not something we experienced with either of the girls’, at least not to this degree.
So Sunday afternoon Carie just did it.
The boy was napping. I was outside with the girls putzing around. It was above freezing, if only barely. The girls were collecting and disposing of "litter". It was their own little idea and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them work together to clean up our yard and neighboring yards. I was raking and sweeping up the mounds of sand and gravel left on our yard and curb from the snow plows. Ya ya, it is likely going to snow again. Oh well.
Then suddenly Carie appears with this enormous bag. From a distance I could see its bulging sides. The way Carie was carrying the bag, it was clearly heavy. She tells me, in some sort of parental code, that this is it. This is all the candy that she could find. Wow! No way! We had that much candy in our home!?!?!? How in the heck did that happen? How embarrassing!
Now, what to do with it? Why can't throwing it away be an option? It would have been so physically easy just to open the trash can and drop the bag in. Why do we have such a hard time doing that? Why can't that be the option?
Instead it went into my car and got hauled to work. Now I'm still left with "what to do with it?" Thankfully I think I have an idea.
Later that evening we were getting ready for dinner. Spencer hadn't exactly noticed the missing candy. It isn't like he had an inventory or anything; he just had this uncanny knack for finding candy wherever it was stashed. His own personal candy radar! So what does he do? He opens the freezer and asks for the M's that he found. M's that have been in the freezer for months, at minimum. One bag being an "autumn mix". Who knows, they may not even be from this past fall! LOL
How does he do it? It isn't like he opened up all the cupboards searching for candy. He simply opened the freezer and found what was (hopefully) the last candy in the house. He was denied, of course. Most often his requests for candy are denied but I'm always amazed at how often he asks for it.
I'm amazed at how great his candy radar is!
Labels: Family



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home