Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Sick Day Saved The Weekend

While several of us seem to be battling this that and the other, last Friday I woke up and decided that I'd take a "sick day". I could have gone to work. I probably should have gone to work. But staying home for a mental health day was so incredibly appealing and it turned out to be exactly what I needed.

It is amazing how that one stolen day changed the outlook and the course of the weekend. It felt so good to feel more on top of things instead of drowning in things.

Friday evening the girls had their final soccer game of the season followed by a pizza party to celebrate. My oh my was the pizza party crazy. There were 3 soccer teams that descended upon the pizza joint... the place that generally has no in restaurant traffic. Three teams of kids, their siblings and parents. Three teems of kids all jazzed up about soccer, their friends, the party, and sugar! Carie made the cake for the party and it was a huge hit. It turned out awesome in every aspect. Another parent handed out all sorts of goodies, also a huge hit. Then I handed out the pictures of the players I've taken over the season, which the parents seemed to enjoy. When it was all said and done, we were ready to get out of there and find some quietness. We got loaded up in the van and I suggested that we run an errand, any errand, just to have some quietness and space. The kids finally ate their pizza and watched a show. We enjoyed the peace.

Saturday morning we headed down to Lincoln to take bed stuff to my parent’s house. We arrived and fairly quickly setup the beds for a couple of our nieces. They were super jazzed to have "new" (to them) beds to call their own. After lunch mom gave Carie and I our flu shots and then we packed up and headed home. Poor Spencer fell asleep on the way but transferred nicely to finish his nap in his bed. Later that afternoon Carie's folks arrived to spend some time with the kids while Carie and I headed out for an evening on the town. We ended up choosing to go to The Cheesecake Factory, which is semi new to the area, and enjoyed an incredible adult dinner. As we enjoyed the meal we decided that 1) this would be our celebration for our upcoming anniversary and 2) as we were enjoying the Fried Mac-n-Cheese we committed to getting back on track with our eating. Loved the timing! But it was nice to have adult conversation where we were actually able to complete our thoughts. Then we headed to mall to pick up some more pants for the girls'. We've done well at scoring great deals and bargains, but finding/fitting pants for them just isn't easy to do. So we go with what works and it was high time we owned more than 3 pairs between them. LOL!

Sunday morning was our lazy morning. A much needed get going at our own pace kinda morning. That afternoon it was time to tackle the garage. We've had some critters thinking they'd like to take up residence in the garage until Carie evicted them. They were so kind to leave an incredible smelly mess behind and it so needed our attention. Thankfully the garage cleaned up relatively quickly and easily. I love Clorox! While we were doing our cleaning the girls', along with B&B, were out playing in the rain and loving it. Then it was time to get ready to head to choir and since we were all wet anyways it only made sense to toss everyone in the bath and get that out of the way. I took the kids to choir, a first this season, and I really enjoyed watching them do their thing. Carie stayed back for some quietness and she rocked at picking up the house in our absence. We enjoyed dinner and then moved into our normal evening routine. The bonus was that after the kids were in bed we got to enjoy our dessert, which we ordered to go, from The Cheesecake Factory. Oh my was that delicious!

Thanks to the incredible mental health day that provided better opportunities to enjoy the weekend, I feel ready to tackle another week.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

That's great. Mental health days are such a boon. I took a "sleep" day recently when I just felt too run down and slept a good part of the day away.

5:34 AM, October 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home