Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Annual Pumpkin Carving

Sunday afternoon was the perfect day for us to carve pumpkins. I'm so glad we had the wisdom to realize this and act on it! The girls were so excited about carving their pumpkins this year. Spencer got into it for a short while, but really - pumpkin guts? He thought we were nuts.

We started our carving adventure later in the morning and managed to get the insides, of all 3 pumpkins, cleaned out when we decided it was time to break for lunch. Spencer had long lost his interest in the activity. So we ate lunch, got the boy settled for a nap, and then continued our carving adventure with the girls.

Actually, it was me doing the majority of the carving while the girls drew out strict instructions on how exactly they wanted their pumpkins carved. I started by carving Spencer’s pumpkin to refresh their memory of how it all worked. Spencer is obsessed with all things triangles lately, so it was a no brainer for me to carve lots of triangles for him. I was incredibly impressed with their interest levels and even more impressed with their patience levels. We were all working together and it didn't seem to matter how long it took or who was first.


We then moved onto carving Abby's pumpkin. She had her instruction sheet ready to go. She reviewed the details with me, changing them a bit along the way. I grabbed a marker and we outlined her face onto the pumpkin. With her seal of approval, I began to cut away. She desperately wanted to help cut part of the pumpkin, so I reluctantly let her. I scored a few lines for her to cut and it was all good. Once all carved and cleaned we found a candle to see how it glowed. Pleased with her results it was time to move onto Ellie's pumpkin.

Ellie also had prepared detailed instructions that I was to follow. The eyes, the frowny brows, the nose was all clear. Got it! But we got to the mouth and I just couldn't seem to get what she was wanting. After a few tries of drawing it on the pumpkin I finally got it just right. Thank goodness we drew it before I started cutting! For some reason the pumpkin is a huge deal to Ellie this year. She is super excited about the specific pumpkin she chose and it had to be carved just right.

After dinner (by pumpkin light) and jammies we moved the pumpkins to the great outdoors. The kids were in heaven!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home