Sunday, July 15, 2007

Yet Another Fun Filled Weekend

We started our weekend by celebrating Carie's Dad's 60th birthday on Friday evening. We trekked to Lincoln after work and had a lovely dinner, some great outdoor playtime and gardening, and of course dessert. The kids were also treated to Grandpa getting his guitar out and they each took turns sitting with him and playing their own ear piercing song. We were tempted to stay in Lincoln Saturday night but we were also anxious to get home.

Saturday morning started off as a lazy morning, a much needed lazy morning. Carie even got to sleep in, a rare treat for her. The kids and I bunkered down in the family room and shared bowls of cereal while watching various shows. That was all good while it lasted but then it was time to kick things into gear to get ready to go as we had another full afternoon ahead of us.

I managed to get the yard work done before the morning heat kicked in and was I ever thankful that I did! The weather has been very kind to us over the past week and Saturday was the beginning of another heat wave. While I was working outside Carie & the kids were working inside and getting our things ready to go for another trip to Lincoln. With some unexpected errands added we made it a bit later than we had hoped. Thankfully Spencer still took an awesome nap at my parent's house. We took Carmen with us and thankfully she and Jake (my parent's dog) got along wonderfully!


That afternoon we headed over to my brother's house to celebrate my niece's 8th birthday. Everyone seemed to have a great time, the kids made necklaces and they had a great time playing together. After a stop at my parent’s house to load up our stuff we were on the road to home. It was very late and the kids very clearly told us that they were more than ready to be home.

We were all longing for Sunday because it was going to be a stay at home day. I had a great interest in going to Church but we really needed to be at home as it was the first stay at home day in a very long time. Even the girls were quite excited about the prospects of staying home. Out of curiosity I looked back at our calendar and it appears that the last "free" weekend day we had was prior to Memorial weekend. Wow! No wonder why we were excited for a free day.

Carie and I were referring to Sunday as a recovery day. Unfortunately it wasn’t the ideal recovery of the mind, body & soul but rather a recover our space day. We had grand plans for all that needed to be done, and we did get a lot done, and what we got done looks awesome, but there is still a lot to do. At least it feels like we are entering the week semi on top of things rather than completely drowning. It feels like we have a chance at getting the pre-vacation list of things done.

Sunday afternoon a friend came over for a play date. Katie is such a sweet girl and they all play together so nicely. They all had a fabulous afternoon of swimming, playing in the play room, enjoying a snack and a show (like in the theatre!), and more playing. I happened to notice the time and realized that Katie had been there for 3 hours and I thought maybe I should call her mom. We had left the pick-up time open with the plans that we'd call. I was about to go get my phone to get her phone number but then I thought maybe Katie would know her number so I asked. She was so cute and said she didn't know it and then quickly told us that she wasn't ready to go home. We laughed at the thought that maybe she didn't know it because she didn't want to go home. About 30 seconds later the phone rings and it is her mom calling to check in. After a bit more playtime her mom came to get her and she was still not ready to go. They were all having so much fun, but it was time for dinner and time to begin the evening routines.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home