Dreamy Eye's
It all seemingly started last October at Aunt Betsie's wedding.
I had all great intentions of writing about that event and never did. My latest plan was to write about it on their anniversary. But now seems to be an appropriate time to, at least, touch on it. For their special occasion they had asked Abby & Ellie to be flower girls. So flower girls they were. They were beyond thrilled and of course did an awesome job walking down the aisle doing their thing.
However, the most exciting part of the evening (for Abby & Ellie) was meeting "the boys". Betsie's boss happens to have twin boys who were 7, a solid 2-3 years older than Abby & Ellie. Those boys couldn't wait for the wedding day to arrive so they could personally meet Abby & Ellie. Once they arrived to the Church they made a beeline to the girls, made proper introductions, and were inseparable thereafter. At the reception the four of them, amongst several other kids, danced together and had a great time.
And then... one of the boys kissed Ellie!
Seriously? She wasn't quite 4 1/2 years old!
At the end of the evening the all said their goodbyes and the boys doled out their phone number and talked about how they'd be waiting for their call the next day. They were all rather cute, actually. Bad parents that we are didn't follow through. Again, our girls' weren't yet 4 1/2 years old. Not to mention the fact that we don't even live in the same town.
At the time the girls' were also getting settled into their new preschool setting and making all sorts of new friends. As time goes on we quickly learn that Ellie and a couple of classmates have become great friends. While she likes both Katie and Evan a lot, there is most definitely a different connection with each of them. Ellie's got great googly eyes over Evan and we are told that Evan has that same dreamy look when he stares endlessly at the picture he has of the gang. This was again apparent at the girls' birthday party. On occasion we'll hear Ellie say "(heavy sigh) I sure do miss Evan". We are in the midst of arranging a play date!
Oh and let's also not forget the boy from the park a couple weeks ago.
The current deal though is Adam from summer school. During summer school she didn't talk about Adam very much because she saw him daily. Sure, she mentioned his name here and there, along with names of other friends she was making. Interestingly though, according to her teacher, she and Adam didn't even sit next to each other during school. Ellie's version is a bit different!
But once school was out we've heard about how much she misses Adam, non-stop. Unfortunately we have no idea who Adam is! We don't have a last name. We don't even know what school he'll go to in the fall. Schools are closed for the remainder of the summer and even if they weren't I'm not sure they could provide us with his contact info. There is virtually no way for us to locate this 5ish year old boy named Adam who lives somewhere in our large district.
Yesterday she mentioned Adam, again, and I try to be empathetic with her. I do feel bad that she wants to contact her friend and we can't. So yesterday she offered a new solution to her existing dilemma.
Ellie: "(sigh) I sure do miss Adam"
Us: I'm sorry sweetie; I wish we could contact him for you but we don't know how.
Ellie: "look him up on the line"
If only we could simply search for "Adam" and magically find him.
Today's twist...
Ellie: "Mommy, I love you!"
Ellie: "I'm going to miss you when I grow up and move away..."
Pause
Ellie: "... and get married to Adam"



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home