What Happened?
I was looking forward to today, Monday, being a down day.
Work was a bit crazy and I finally returned home just in time to throw dinner on the grill. All the kids were hands on with the dinner prep. So many bodies in the kitchen! Dinner was delicious and everyone cleaned their plate. Well, wouldn't you if it meant s'mores!?!?!?
After dinner we were treated to s'mores. Carie picked up the fixings at the store recently thinking it would be a fun treat to make while the coals on the grill were still hot. It was a great idea and the kids had a blast. I think Carie, I & Alex actually enjoyed them the most. Spencer was confused by the mess and just wanted the chocolate; he is all about the chocolate. As we went to assemble his s'more he shouted "stop it". Clearly we were about to harm his chocolate! Abby tried, liked it, but had a fair amount left. Her reasoning was that it was too sticky. Ellie pretty much devoured hers along with us older people.
We then headed out to get some fireworks. We thought we'd try out some at home tonight to test out Ellie's comfort level with her earmuffs. We are trying to decide what we are going to do over the next few days and having a better pulse on how she might react to the fireworks will be great help as we firm things up. We ended up doing fun daylight stuff; multi-colored smoke balls, snakes, poppers, ground bloom flowers, and a jumbo parachute thing that spit out tons of parachutes onto the neighbors house. We called Beth & Ben to come enjoy the parachutes with us and all six kids had fun.
Overall Ellie did remarkably well, far better than she's done in the past. Granted, everything we did was pretty calm. But, she stayed outside with us from beginning to end without any signs of needing to go inside. That is a huge huge step for her.
I think the earmuffs help in more ways than one. I’m positive that they do reduce the noise for her, but I also think they give her pieces of mind and some control. She was even giving Beth tips on what noise it would/would not make and how it would be okay.
This continues to look promising.
Work was a bit crazy and I finally returned home just in time to throw dinner on the grill. All the kids were hands on with the dinner prep. So many bodies in the kitchen! Dinner was delicious and everyone cleaned their plate. Well, wouldn't you if it meant s'mores!?!?!?
After dinner we were treated to s'mores. Carie picked up the fixings at the store recently thinking it would be a fun treat to make while the coals on the grill were still hot. It was a great idea and the kids had a blast. I think Carie, I & Alex actually enjoyed them the most. Spencer was confused by the mess and just wanted the chocolate; he is all about the chocolate. As we went to assemble his s'more he shouted "stop it". Clearly we were about to harm his chocolate! Abby tried, liked it, but had a fair amount left. Her reasoning was that it was too sticky. Ellie pretty much devoured hers along with us older people.
We then headed out to get some fireworks. We thought we'd try out some at home tonight to test out Ellie's comfort level with her earmuffs. We are trying to decide what we are going to do over the next few days and having a better pulse on how she might react to the fireworks will be great help as we firm things up. We ended up doing fun daylight stuff; multi-colored smoke balls, snakes, poppers, ground bloom flowers, and a jumbo parachute thing that spit out tons of parachutes onto the neighbors house. We called Beth & Ben to come enjoy the parachutes with us and all six kids had fun.
Overall Ellie did remarkably well, far better than she's done in the past. Granted, everything we did was pretty calm. But, she stayed outside with us from beginning to end without any signs of needing to go inside. That is a huge huge step for her.
I think the earmuffs help in more ways than one. I’m positive that they do reduce the noise for her, but I also think they give her pieces of mind and some control. She was even giving Beth tips on what noise it would/would not make and how it would be okay.
This continues to look promising.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home