Friday, June 29, 2007

Busy Weekend Begins With Friday

In reality, it feels like a crazy week leading upto a crazy weekend. As I sit here, there are several things - routine things - that I’d have like to have completed by this point in the week. But other stuff has come up and we just roll with the punches. This weekend won't be giving us any mercy.

Today's plans were altered when Ellie came to us late last night to tell us that her ear hurt. Again this morning she shared with us that she was feeling some ear pain. We had planned on checking in with her this morning, but she brought it up all on her own. So, this afternoon I took her into the doctor to have it checked out.

The diagnosis - "Otalgia"

My definition of Otalgia is "Otis Media of the Imagination"

I guess we shall see how this plays out over the weekend. As for today her ears, nose & throat looked extremely healthy.

After the doctor's appointment we, the girls' and I, ran a few errands. We got the car from the repair shop - minor repair but huge improvement, gotta love that! Then the girls' & I went shopping for dresses. It has become crystal clear that soft cotton dresses are a requirement for their summer wardrobe. It also has become clear that growing is not a good enough reason as to why they can no longer wear last summer's dresses. Thank goodness it was a successful shopping trip!

Then we were off to pick up Mommy & Spencer from home and then out to dinner. It had been a day for all of us and going out was the sanest option! As luck had it, we ended up running into some friends of ours at dinner. I had thought about calling them and inviting them to dinner, but it was such late notice that I didn't. They joined us and we had a great time. After dinner we all headed to the park. The weather was absolutely beautiful and I'm so glad we spent the evening outside.

While at the park the girls' met some new friends and they all enjoyed playing games with each other. Abby didn't know what their games were called, but she wanted to play just one more before we left. They were really enjoying themselves, so why not! She and one of the boy's from that family really connected, much like Ellie & Evan connected during preschool. It was a family with 4 kids and this boy was the 2nd oldest and the same age as our girls. It is so incredibly crazy to watch them interact with these boys the way they do. You'd have to see it to believe it. I'm not sure this bodes well for our future - after all, they are only 5!

As we are all (us, our friends, and this family) getting ready to depart from the park, somehow there was a request for or an offer of our phone number. I wasn't in earshot of the conversation. I was almost to the van (along with our friends) when I look back and Carie and the girls' are still way behind us as they were talking with the boy and his mother.

However, what Carie and I find totally fascinating is that just last night Ellie had difficulty remembering her entire phone number yet tonight she rattled it off, correctly, without hesitation. Motivation??


And yes, the boy's mother wrote it down!

We were then headed home for much needed showers and jammies. Spencer was then whisked off to bed, much needed bed. After getting the boy settled I took the girls' to see a big fireworks show. That didn't go as well as we were hoping and we were once again reminded of Ellie's aversion to loud noises. Even loud noises from far far away.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home