The 5yr Well Check - Abby
Abby's well check was this morning and she was quite the champ!
I picked her up from school just prior to dismissal and we headed to her appointment, just she and I. As we are en route she brings up the topic of shots again. She was just sure there wouldn't be shots. I shared with her that I thought there would probably be shots today. Then we talked about who would give them, at what point in the visit she would get them, etc... AND she could ask (the nurses) when we get there and they would know for sure. She told me how she didn't like shots & I commiserated with her. We talked about how they give the shots and how quick they are. Then we talked about what we would do after. Since the appointment was over the lunch hour I promised them a lunch date with Momma.
All in all, it went very well!
She was weighed (37lbs - 50%) and measured (40 3/4" - 25%). They tested her urine - fun! They checked her vision and looked over the hearing screening results from the school. The doctor asked her a series of questions and I nearly cracked up at her answers. Hopefully the doctor didn't really believe several of them!
She had 4 shots (2 in each leg) and a finger prick (to check hemoglobin, cholesterol, and lead). I think she thought the finger prick was pretty cool because after the initial poke it didn't hurt and she could see the blood collect in the tubes. Afterwards she talked about how each shot felt different and she had some good questions for the nurse on why one felt a certain way and the other felt a different way. The nurse then explained what she could do to help her legs feel better.
Then she got to pick out a couple of stickers and something from the "treasure chest” which we didn't even know existed until today!
After the appointment we dropped of a prescription for her (ear drops) and headed to lunch. We had fine dining and experienced screeching and squealing at McDonald's!
On our way home Abby mentioned that she missed Ellie. She also wondered if Ellie missed her as well. Awww! It was really odd having only one of the girls' with me. Sure, we've been apart like that before. But somehow this was different. There were no choices involved, this is just how it had to be.
I picked her up from school just prior to dismissal and we headed to her appointment, just she and I. As we are en route she brings up the topic of shots again. She was just sure there wouldn't be shots. I shared with her that I thought there would probably be shots today. Then we talked about who would give them, at what point in the visit she would get them, etc... AND she could ask (the nurses) when we get there and they would know for sure. She told me how she didn't like shots & I commiserated with her. We talked about how they give the shots and how quick they are. Then we talked about what we would do after. Since the appointment was over the lunch hour I promised them a lunch date with Momma.
All in all, it went very well!
She was weighed (37lbs - 50%) and measured (40 3/4" - 25%). They tested her urine - fun! They checked her vision and looked over the hearing screening results from the school. The doctor asked her a series of questions and I nearly cracked up at her answers. Hopefully the doctor didn't really believe several of them!
She had 4 shots (2 in each leg) and a finger prick (to check hemoglobin, cholesterol, and lead). I think she thought the finger prick was pretty cool because after the initial poke it didn't hurt and she could see the blood collect in the tubes. Afterwards she talked about how each shot felt different and she had some good questions for the nurse on why one felt a certain way and the other felt a different way. The nurse then explained what she could do to help her legs feel better.
Then she got to pick out a couple of stickers and something from the "treasure chest” which we didn't even know existed until today!
After the appointment we dropped of a prescription for her (ear drops) and headed to lunch. We had fine dining and experienced screeching and squealing at McDonald's!
On our way home Abby mentioned that she missed Ellie. She also wondered if Ellie missed her as well. Awww! It was really odd having only one of the girls' with me. Sure, we've been apart like that before. But somehow this was different. There were no choices involved, this is just how it had to be.



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home