"Summer" Kindergarten
Yes, it is true - the girls' are in the midst of summer school!
We found out about the summer school option quite a while ago and filed it in our memory banks as an option. After all, their preschool ended in late May and "fall" Kindergarten doesn't start until mid August. We knew we wanted to do something this summer, just didn't know yet what that was. Carie and I talked about it several times, creating pro's and con's as we tried to come to a conclusion. Ultimately, obviously, we ended up going for it and we are so glad we did.
The weeks and days leading up to the start of "summer" Kindergarten we've been talking about it and they've been so excited. The first day finally arrived and any wavering cons were immediately resolved. Outside of the first day chaos of everyone figuring out where they need to be, it is going extremely smooth and amazingly everyone seems pretty settled in. Unfortunately summer school is only 2 weeks, that being one of our cons. Though I'm sure that is a pro for many other folks.
The girls' are doing an amazing job of differentiating the difference between preschool, "summer" Kindergarten, and "fall" Kindergarten. I'm amazed at how we'll they've handled the changes, their excitement levels with all that is going on, and how they've jumped right in without hesitation or looking back. After all, they are 5 now. They have grown up! And we are sure reminded of that - by them - often!
I really feel like this is a good trial run for us. Sure, we would have figured out these things in due time. But I think we (unexpectedly) feel like we've gained some knowledge that will be useful as we approach Fall Kindergarten.
This morning, the 3rd morning of drop-off, as we are approaching the school I initiate a conversation.
Me: Hey Abby & Ellie - Would you like me to park down here and walk you to school (as we have been doing) OR Would you like me to pull up to school and you hop out like the big kids do.
* Without a pause! *
Abby & Ellie: In unison - DROP OFF LIKE THE BIG KIDS!
Me: Okay!
So I pull up to school following the traffic pattern outlined by the Principal. I stop right in front of their Kindergarten classes that are congregated out front and within total view. They unbuckle & grab their backpacks. I open the door. They hop out and begin to giggle like crazy as they are shutting the car door. They thought they were so cool! I see that they have their name tags from their teachers and I am off on my way to work.
A couple days this week we have also gone out to lunch, on the girls' request. I love going to lunch with them! We have such amazing conversations over lunch that I'll rarely turn down a lunch date.
Our girls ARE growing up!
Next stop - Swimming lessons, more zoo classes, and a little family vaca!
We found out about the summer school option quite a while ago and filed it in our memory banks as an option. After all, their preschool ended in late May and "fall" Kindergarten doesn't start until mid August. We knew we wanted to do something this summer, just didn't know yet what that was. Carie and I talked about it several times, creating pro's and con's as we tried to come to a conclusion. Ultimately, obviously, we ended up going for it and we are so glad we did.
The weeks and days leading up to the start of "summer" Kindergarten we've been talking about it and they've been so excited. The first day finally arrived and any wavering cons were immediately resolved. Outside of the first day chaos of everyone figuring out where they need to be, it is going extremely smooth and amazingly everyone seems pretty settled in. Unfortunately summer school is only 2 weeks, that being one of our cons. Though I'm sure that is a pro for many other folks.
The girls' are doing an amazing job of differentiating the difference between preschool, "summer" Kindergarten, and "fall" Kindergarten. I'm amazed at how we'll they've handled the changes, their excitement levels with all that is going on, and how they've jumped right in without hesitation or looking back. After all, they are 5 now. They have grown up! And we are sure reminded of that - by them - often!
I really feel like this is a good trial run for us. Sure, we would have figured out these things in due time. But I think we (unexpectedly) feel like we've gained some knowledge that will be useful as we approach Fall Kindergarten.
This morning, the 3rd morning of drop-off, as we are approaching the school I initiate a conversation.
Me: Hey Abby & Ellie - Would you like me to park down here and walk you to school (as we have been doing) OR Would you like me to pull up to school and you hop out like the big kids do.
* Without a pause! *
Abby & Ellie: In unison - DROP OFF LIKE THE BIG KIDS!
Me: Okay!
So I pull up to school following the traffic pattern outlined by the Principal. I stop right in front of their Kindergarten classes that are congregated out front and within total view. They unbuckle & grab their backpacks. I open the door. They hop out and begin to giggle like crazy as they are shutting the car door. They thought they were so cool! I see that they have their name tags from their teachers and I am off on my way to work.
A couple days this week we have also gone out to lunch, on the girls' request. I love going to lunch with them! We have such amazing conversations over lunch that I'll rarely turn down a lunch date.
Our girls ARE growing up!
Next stop - Swimming lessons, more zoo classes, and a little family vaca!



1 Comments:
Oh that is so great! I love hearing that they are doing so well and loving being "big kids"! I hope our transition this fall goes as smoothly.
Love reading updates. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home