Monday, May 07, 2007

The Boy's 2nd Birthday Party

The Boy's Birthday celebrations have come to an end, though I think he is ready to continue celebrating. It was all about him and he thought it was pretty darn cool. He is all about the candles, balloons, and presents! He is so different than Abby & Ellie. He didn't seem to even notice what was IN the presents; he just wanted to open presents.

His 2nd Birthday party was this past weekend and I think everyone had a great time. It was a family birthday party and all in all we had 29 people in our house for the big celebration. These are the times that I wish we had a bigger house! But we manage. The party was to start at 4:00(ish), but Mr. Spencer had other plans. He took a marathon nap and slept until 4:45(ish)! He woke to a house full of people and adjusted incredibly well.

In conjunction with his 2nd birthday celebrations, we surprised my (maternal) Grandma by celebrating her 81st birthday - which is actually today. As per tradition, she made her German Chocolate cake to bring to the party. She's been making this cake for years and it is always a hit. It is fun to continue these traditions with my children and I know she enjoys carrying on the tradition. I figured Grandma needed candles to blow out for her birthday and boy was she surprised! Between Grandma and Spencer, they had the candles blown out in no time! I felt bad that she ended up making her own birthday cake, but between the two cakes we had plenty and I couldn't see buying more. Grandma was also surprised by the arrangement of roses and the balloon we had for her. I think it really brightened her day.
















To supplement the special German Chocolate cake, we ordered a cupcake cake of Spencer's choosing. Without hesitation he selected the baseball glove and ball cupcake cake. We added numerous candles to that cake for Spencer to blow out. He loves to blow out candles and having just two candles or a number 2 didn't seem like enough. So yeah, I got a little crazy! I even lit them several times for him to blow out and he was in pure heaven. First we sang Happy Birthday to Grandma and then we sang for him. He then of course wanted to eat the ball, which covered a few cupcakes and was of course pure frosting. Thankfully he wasn't interested in actually eating much of the frosting.













After loading everyone up on sugar we gathered for Spencer to open his gifts. He was all about the "presents"! He had tissue paper and wrapping paper everywhere!

Shortly after presents we had dinner ready to go. As usual, we kept it super simple. As Grandma would say, we "slaved over the stove frying chicken all morning". And ya know, part of me thinks that she really truly believes that. We make no claims of such effort! The store does a fine job of making the chicken for us, thank you very much. We ordered 72 pieces of chicken, my mom made her famous (to my family) baked beans, Carie's mom made the fruit salad, we made the deviled eggs, and we bought the chips. Super simple, pull it out of the oven and fridge, and buffet line for 29 people setup in no time, with no hassle and no stress. Due to the weather headed our way we setup the big kids’ picnic style in the family room (downstairs) and started a movie. Spencer started out eating at the table but quickly caught onto the fact that all the other kids were going downstairs and that is where he needed to be. Sure enough, once all the kids got settled it began to rain outside. I was thankful that we executed the picnic in the basement option!

In and amongst all the activities folks were keeping an eye on the weather. We had some severe weather around our area that was headed straight for us. I'm thankful that everyone was able to make it home safely.

After dinner some folks headed out to try and avoid the storms that were coming. Other's stayed around and talked with one another. The kids got out some activities and had fun building things with PlayFoam before discovering the plethora of temporary tattoos we have. I got Cousin Alex setup to be the leader of this activity and they all had a blast with it. She
helped all the little kids apply several tattoos to their bodies. Meanwhile the adults talked while being amused by the kid conversations going on around the kitchen table.

We had plans of taking a group photo of the kids in my immediate family (our kids + nieces) but unfortunately didn't remember this until they were ready to head home. I think the picture turned out great, I just wish we had taken it when it was lighter out.


















Front to back - left to right: Mykinze (7), Spencer (2), Alex (10), Haleigh (3), Abby (4) & Ellie (4). However, over the summer months each girl will celebrate a birthday. Abby & Ellie will turn 5 in June. Alex will turn 11 & Mykinze will turn 8 in July. Haleigh will turn 4 in August.


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Daria Schaffnit said...

Sounds like an absolutely delightful party!!! I love the way the cupcake cake looks!

9:02 AM, May 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home