Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Preschool

Well, since I was so not on the ball and another week has gone by I'll be combining the Preschool Orientation and First Day of School update.

The time has finally come for school to start. The girls have been chomping at the bit for weeks waiting for the day they could go to school.

A week ago, Tuesday evening, was their preschool orientation. We all got to go up to school, meet their new teachers, new preschool friends, and check out their classrooms. It was a great evening and the girls were ready to begin the next day. Unfortunately we'd have to wait one more week before the official first day.

Both girls hit it off with their new teachers and didn't skip a beat by being in different classrooms. The Director checked in with us at the end of the evening to see how they were doing with the separate classrooms. She knew we had requested to split them up but wanted to know how the girls were handling it. She was pleased to see that they were 100% on board and commented that we had made a great decision.

Later that evening Carie and I got to exchange notes on the evening. Our first impressions left us both really really liking and excited about Abby's new teacher and while we also liked Ellie's new teacher we both felt like we'd have some teaching to do. We are hoping that we all settle in quickly and that isn't the case. But if it is, we are up for it. When aren't we molding the perceptions folks have about families like ours? But, we are quite confident that this is a great fit and we know that the Director is extremely supportive. It is going to be a great year!


Last night Carie and I stayed up late completing what we have called our home work. We have discovered that our procrastination level hasn’t changed over the years. The amount of paperwork is amazing. Though we were pleased to find far less homework this year!

Today was the big day, the first day of school. YAY!!! I took the day off to celebrate the start of the school year and have a special day with the kids.

Carie took them in the morning and I picked them up at the end of class. It sounds like drop off went very smooth and both girls jumped right into things without skipping a beat. I'm not even sure that Carie got a "good-bye Mommy". Unfortunately some other kiddo's weren't having such an easy time with the transition this morning.

When I arrived to pick them up, Ellie's class was headed in from the park. Ellie saw me and waved emphatically. She looked so happy! After dismissal they were definitely ready to head home for some lunch and vegging out time. They were only at school for 2 hours and 15 minutes but they were worn out! They both had a fantastic day and they can't wait to go back on Friday.


Tonight at bedtime they were eager to sing the songs that they sang in class today. We had quite a lot of fun with all of the new songs, both the one's learned in class and the improv contributions from each girl.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I'm so glad that the girls had such a great first day!!! And they just look so grown up. Sigh....

6:00 PM, September 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home