Thursday, August 10, 2006

Accomplished

Today I am feeling a small bit of accomplishment, a much needed feeling these days.

You know how "the list" seems to grow, seemingly uncontrollably at times? Just when you think you've got a handle on things, when you feel like you've taken a small step forward, you wind up taking a few giant steps back. Well, it has been a long while since I've felt like I've had a handle on anything. I am more than ready to take that giant leap forward; I just need to figure out how to make that leap.

The newest addition to "the list" was repairing the roof. The other morning as I was going about my morning routine I noticed that some of the 20" of rain we had, had leaked through the roof and into the bathroom. My best guess was that the sky light was leaking. But I know absolutely nothing about roofs! The last couple of times we had a leak we had someone come out and fix it. But last night I decided to face this challenge and see what I could do.

Other mitigating factors... I don't like being on top of roofs, I don't like ladders, and I don't like heights. Oh, and this is the first time getting back on that ladder since my last (and only) major incident.

We hauled out the monstrous ladder, got setup, and I carefully climbed to the top of the roof. Carie was there to hold the ladder steady, provide support, oh and provide unnecessary commentary that referenced my
previous incident. The girls were also "helping" or rather watching from below as they rode their bikes in their jammies. So I most definitely couldn't fall!

I walked to the back of the roof where I suspected the source of the leak. Sure enough, I thought I found our problem. I pulled away some of the old sealant, cleaned things up a bit, and re-sealed more than I probably needed to. The more the better, right? While I was up there I re-sealed a few other spots that looked suspicious. But what do I know?

So I get down and tell Carie that I either just fixed our problem and prevented some future problems or we'll need a new roof. She was thrilled with my level of confidence. Not only did we potentially save $75, but I didn't require any stitches or break any teeth!

This morning, after 20 more inches of rainfall overnight, it appears that it is sealed. We shall see if it holds up!

3 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

Wow! Great job! I have to say, you won't catch me up on the roof...though D is there frequently. Luckily, we have a ranch-style home so the roof isn't nearly as far from the ground as yours.

Excellent work!

6:15 PM, August 10, 2006  
Blogger Laura said...

Wow, I'm so impressed!!!!

9:05 AM, August 12, 2006  
Blogger Kristen said...

Good job Ms. Fix It!

7:07 AM, August 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home