Fresh Canvas
Last weekend we were successful in creating a fresh canvas for the youngsters. I will say that I don't think it is just our kids who have marked up the walls. :)
The Crayon, Vaseline, Ink, and Poop are all gone from the majorly offended walls. For the record, it took 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint to cover the Vaseline!
Unfortunately, those walls lead to other walls that now must be painted. Those walls lead to other walls that could be painted, those walls lead... well, you know. On top of the kid damage, there was some water damage that we are repairing as well... which also requires the ceiling to be painted, and if we are doing the ceiling in that room we might as well do this other room too. Oh, and none of these walls are normal height with a flat ceiling... added bonus.
Gotta love the justification!
So those few walls are done and they look marvelous. So much better than before! But life (school, eating, naps, grocery shopping, laundry, parenting) goes on so it felt like it took a really darn long time to make that progress. I took a couple of days off work to help jumpstart the process. It helped, but we still have a long way to go. Our goal is to complete this project by early April. It's going to be a long month! If it isn't done by Easter, there isn't much chance we'll get back to it until next winter.
Before getting started both girls' shared concern over what we were about to do. They went to the store with me to get a fresh can of primer. We needed a lot of primer! Ellie asked what color paint I was getting. I said "white". She had a fit and refused to go into the store. She did not want me to paint over her colors. Turns out, she was most worried about us painting over her purple walls in her room. Abby had this same fit a few days prior. I reassured them that we would not paint their purple walls. They were relieved! BUT, I was going to paint over the artwork on these other walls AND I would appreciate it if they did all their future artwork at the table on paper.
While we were painting (tag team painting at that) the girls' wanted to help so badly. They were desperate to help paint. It was an excellent time to reiterate that I was not doing artwork. Besides, I'm kind of an anal painter... just ask Carie :).
I did offer them an opportunity to do an art project AT the table ON paper :). We ended up going to a movie instead.
The Crayon, Vaseline, Ink, and Poop are all gone from the majorly offended walls. For the record, it took 3 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint to cover the Vaseline!
Unfortunately, those walls lead to other walls that now must be painted. Those walls lead to other walls that could be painted, those walls lead... well, you know. On top of the kid damage, there was some water damage that we are repairing as well... which also requires the ceiling to be painted, and if we are doing the ceiling in that room we might as well do this other room too. Oh, and none of these walls are normal height with a flat ceiling... added bonus.
Gotta love the justification!
So those few walls are done and they look marvelous. So much better than before! But life (school, eating, naps, grocery shopping, laundry, parenting) goes on so it felt like it took a really darn long time to make that progress. I took a couple of days off work to help jumpstart the process. It helped, but we still have a long way to go. Our goal is to complete this project by early April. It's going to be a long month! If it isn't done by Easter, there isn't much chance we'll get back to it until next winter.
Before getting started both girls' shared concern over what we were about to do. They went to the store with me to get a fresh can of primer. We needed a lot of primer! Ellie asked what color paint I was getting. I said "white". She had a fit and refused to go into the store. She did not want me to paint over her colors. Turns out, she was most worried about us painting over her purple walls in her room. Abby had this same fit a few days prior. I reassured them that we would not paint their purple walls. They were relieved! BUT, I was going to paint over the artwork on these other walls AND I would appreciate it if they did all their future artwork at the table on paper.
While we were painting (tag team painting at that) the girls' wanted to help so badly. They were desperate to help paint. It was an excellent time to reiterate that I was not doing artwork. Besides, I'm kind of an anal painter... just ask Carie :).
I did offer them an opportunity to do an art project AT the table ON paper :). We ended up going to a movie instead.



2 Comments:
Oooh...I don't envy your painting your job.....especially with 2 preschoolers "helping". It was hard enough with just one.
Just think how beautiful it will all be when it's done!
oh Sonya I can relate! We have 5 kids 16,14,12,9 and 5. The 5 year old wanted to help too so he got certain areas we had to paint over anyway and the nine year old painted the inside of her closet. The older ones helped but lets just say painting wont be their profession when tey grow up lol.
Post a Comment
<< Home